Montrose v Peterhead

Montrose v Peterhead

Montrose 3 Peterhead 0

Nov 6, 2022

Just in case anyone thought that the Gods of Football had thrown everything adverse it could at Peterhead this season up popped two own goals as the Blue Toon went down 3-0 at Montrose. Both sides cancelled each other out in the first half however unfortunate interventions from Ryan Strachan and David Wilson had the three points staying at Links Park before Matthew Wright tapped in a last minute third.
Julien Carre dropped out of manager Jim McInally’s starting XI due to suspension and Connor O’Keefe came in as a replacement as the Balmoor men looked to build on a solid display against Edinburgh City last time out. The visitors made a promising start with Matty Allan forced to concede a corner after two minutes however no danger threatened. Both teams were finding it hard to establish any attacking rhythm in the opening 15 minutes however former Peterhead favourite Rory McAllister brought out a save from Tom Ritchie after darting into the visitors’ box. McInally’s men took the game to the other end and O’Keefe forced Ross Sinclair into a save with a shot from the left-hand side of the box. On 19 minutes another former Peterhead player, Paul Watson, tried to catch Ritchie out with a long-range effort however his effort cleared the bar. McAllister had a shot blocked by team-mate Cammy Ballantyne before Jason Brown was booked on 25 minutes for what appeared to be time-wasting. Just before the half hour mark Montrose thought they had opened up the visiting defence when Graham Webster broke free only for an offside flag to halt his progress. Peterhead took the resultant free-kick quickly and worked their way to the edge of the home box where O’Keefe teed up Danny Strachan with Sinclair in a good position to save the wing-back’s driven effort. Ritchie made a smart stop from a Michael Gardyne shot before Peterhead broke rapidly to the other end on 38 minutes where Florent Hoti slipped a pass to O’Keefe and his cross looked perfect for Ryan Dow but Andrew Steeves intercepted to turn the ball behind. Five minutes from the break McAllister volleyed over with Michael Hewitt denied by Sinclair just before the whistle to signal the end of the first 45 minutes.
Montrose started the second half as the better side and after Watson had two attempts at the Peterhead goal Gardyne and Steeves combined on 54 minutes to create a chance for Ballantyne which the midfielder fired wide. Two minutes later the Gable Endies made the breakthrough when another cross from Steeves flicked off the head of Ryan Strachan and rolled past Ritchie. Andrew McCarthy was introduced for O’Keefe shortly afterwards and after Gardyne had fired an opening over Wilson came on for the booked Brown on 64 minutes. With 17 minutes left manager McInally looked to pep things up in attack by bringing on Jordon Brown for Jack Brown with the Blue Toon surviving a scare when McAllister found the net only to be judged offside. A second Peterhead player scored at the wrong end as Wilson just managed to beat Allan to a corner on 78 minutes only to see his header slip past Ritchie. That goal allowed Montrose to consolidate in defence and there was no way through for the visitors with a final goal coming just before the end when Craig Brown ran clear and unselfishly passed to fellow substitute Wright to tap in.
Peterhead – Ritchie, Walusimbi, Ryan Strachan, Jason Brown (Wilson 66), Danny Strachan, Hewitt, Hoti, Jack Brown (Jordon Brown 74), Wilkie, Dow, Dow O’Keefe (McCarthy 58) Unused substitutes – McDonald, Asare, Scullion, McGale, Murray, Wood (G/k).
Manager Jim McInally post-match –
Montrose v Peterhead

Montrose v Peterhead

Battling Blue Toon go down to Montrose

Dec 23, 2021

Montrose           2

Peterhead          0

A depleted Peterhead side shone against in-form Montrose at Links Park however a goal in each half saw the Gable Endies triumph 2-0.

With David Wilson, Ryan Conroy, Alan Cook, Simon Ferry, Gary Fraser and Andrew McCarthy still all missing due to injuries manager Jim McInally was going to go with the same team that won 3-2 at Dumbarton on Saturday however skipper Scott Brown picked up a knock just before the game and dropped out.

Danny Strachan, who had played 90 minutes for parent club Dundee on Monday night, was handed a start in Brown’s absence with Ryan Duncan making a welcome appearance on the bench after his hamstring problem.

Red shirted Peterhead started brightly and Niah Payne and Grant Savoury won early fouls after being impeded as they looked to take the game to their hosts.

That positive opening took a knock on 6 minutes when the hosts took the lead when Liam Callaghan floated in a corner and Andrew Steeves met it with a header that flashed past Brett Long. The visiting defence were unhappy with some blocking that had gone on however referee Graham Grainger was uninterested and the goal was given.

The Blue Toon looked to shrug off that disappointment quickly and they raced to the other end and forced two corners of their own however no danger threatened.

Danger did threaten on 21 minutes when Grant Savoury got on the ball at the edge of the Montrose box and Aaron Lennox had to make a smart save at the expense of a corner to deny the former Celtic kid an equaliser.

From the resultant flag kick, it looked like, skipper for the night, Jason Brown had headed in a leveller however the ball struck a post. In the ensuing scramble Payne planted the ball into the net but referee Grainger had spotted an infringement and the goal was chalked off.

The hosts’ Cammy Ballantyne was booked shortly afterwards for a foul on Payne and as Peterhead kept putting pressure on the hosts Josh Mulligan drilled for goal however Lennox again stood firm.

On 41 minutes Mulligan tried again however his effort went wide and Peterhead’s misfortune continued shortly afterwards with Savoury having to come off before the break after picking up a knock with Duncan coming on in his place.

Montrose responded to Peterhead giving as good as they got by changing their tactics at the break and pressing the visitors high up the pitch however that did not prevent Andy McDonald having an early chance that ended up over the bar.

Graham Webster and Mark Whatley fired openings wide of the Peterhead goal before Long made a fine stop to deny Blair Lyons.

Derek Lyle replaced Payne midway through the second half in a bid to get an equaliser however when the second goal of the game arrived it came for Montrose on 75 minutes.

Lyons grabbed it when he converted a cross from Steeves however again the visitors refused to lie down and Lennox produced a great stop to keep out another header from Jason Brown.

In the closing stages Ballantyne fouled Lyall Cameron and picked up his second yellow, and his first red, card.


Long, McDonald, Jason Brown, Strachan (Jordon Brown 770, Duffy, Mulligan, Ritchie, Cameron, Savoury (Duncan 43‎),‎ McLean, Payne (Lyle 68‎’)

Unused substitutes – Wilson (G/k)

Jim McInally after-match –

Montrose v Peterhead

Montrose and Webster continue their runs of success over Peterhead

Aug 14, 2021

Montrose           1            Peterhead          0

Peterhead’s miserable run of results against Montrose continued with the Links Park hosts securing a 1-0 win to extend their unbeaten run against Jim McInally’s side to eight games.

The winner came from Grahame Webster and the Gable Endie is unlikely to be receiving any Christmas cards from Peterhead this December as it was his third penalty goal against the Balmoor men in the last three games.

Danny Strachan and Josh Mulligan returned to the Peterhead team after playing against them in midweek for Dundee’s B team however the third Dark Blue loan player at the club, Lyall Cameron, was injured and missed out.

Brett Long who was an outfield substitute in the 2-1 SPFL Trust Trophy contest on Tuesday was back on goalkeeping duty, and he went on to star, with Andy McCarthy and Russell McLean stepping up from the bench to the starting XI.

The first chance came on 11 minutes when Webster fired for goal however Long dealt with it confidently and four minutes later the shot-stopper was equal to an effort on his goal from Milne.

Milne tried his luck from a free kick on 17 minutes however his dead-ball strike rose and cleared the bar.

As Montrose continued to probe Craig Johnston fired wide on a couple of occasions however the Blue Toon grew into the game and they created danger through former Montrose attacker McLean who rose to meet a cross however he headed over.

Montrose looked to get the second half off to a flyer and Blair Lyons set up a raid on the visitors’ goal that put Milne in a good position however Long tipped his drive wide.

Long was called into action again quickly and this time he conceded another corner by pushing a shot from Cammy Ballantyne over.

A goal for the hosts came on 51 minutes from the penalty spot after Webster ran across the path of Andrew McDonald and when he stumbled to the ground a spot-kick was awarded.

Unfortunately for Peterhead Webster did his usual immaculate job when he slotted home the spot-kick.

Hamish Ritchie who was having a quiet afternoon was replaced by Derek Lyle just after the hour mark and Jason Brown who had not long been booked was replaced by his brother Jordon.

Despite these attacking moves Montrose continued to press and a volley from Cammy

Ballantyne hit the underside of the bar and Milne saw his follow up effort cleared by a Peterhead head.

The changes started to make an impact and the final 10 minutes saw them push the hosts back and they almost grabbed a point with a fierce Niah Payne effort however Allan Fleming produced a fine stop.

Peterhead – Long, Strachan, Jason Brown (Jordon Brown 69), McDonald, Conroy, Mulligan, Scott Brown, McCarthy (Kesson 87), Ritchie (Lyle 62), Payne, McLean

Unused substitutes: Wilson, Mushanu

Montrose v Peterhead

Montrose 3 Peterhead 2

Nov 7, 2020

Montrose 3

McLean (39, 46), Webster (71 pen)

Peterhead 2

Armour (12, 51)

Peterhead have now scored eight times on their last three visits to Montrose however they have still to pick up a point as a double from former striker Russell Mclean helped the Gable Endies to a 3-2 success.

The home side’s captain Paul Watson sent a header against a post on eight minutes with the Blue Toon making the most of that reprieve by opening the scoring four minutes later.

Ben Armour was the goalscorer with the striker keeping calm as he took advantage of an error by Iain Campbell to fire home his first goal of the season.

Goalkeeper Joshua Rae denied the hosts an equaliser on 35 minutes when he somehow managed to turn a close range shot from Lewis Milne over the bar following a bit of a scramble.

The Gable Endies did however restore parity six minutes from the break when McLean tapped in following good set-up play from Chris Mochrie.

Mochrie and Mclean combined again to put Montrose ahead less than a minute into the restart however Peterhead drew level on 51 minutes.

Armour was again the goalscorer as he pounced on a poor pass-back and rounded home goalkeeper Aaron Lennox before sliding the ball over the line.

Scott Brown came close to edging the visitors ahead for a second time with a fizzing drive midway through the second half however the game’s decisive moment came at the other end with 19 minutes left.

Kyle Bailey was judged to have fouled Craig Johnston and Graham Webster stepped up to smash home the resultant penalty.

Peterhead’s agony was not over as Jason Brown was sent off just before the final whistle when he picked up his second yellow card.

Peterhead – Rae, Freeman, Bailey, J Brown, Conroy (Kesson 78), Cameron, Fraser, McCarthy (Trialist 58), S Brown, Cook, Armour (Lyle 65)

Unused substitutes – Ferry, Boyd, Trialist, Wilson