Falkirk v Peterhead

Falkirk v Peterhead

Falkirk 3 Peterhead 1

Aug 14, 2022

Peterhead took the lead at Falkirk just before the half-time whistle in a game where Blue Toon goalkeeper Jack Newman had been busy however the Bairns raced up the park and levelled before going on to secure a 3-1 win.
Max Gillies’ first senior goal led to hopes of frustration building at The Falkirk Stadium only for Ryan Williamson to charge forward and equalise before second half goals from Callumn Morrison and Gary Oliver secured the points for John McGlynn’s side.
The Balmoor men went into the game boosted by the loan signings of Jack Wilkie and Ewan Murray from Dundee with midfielder Murray handed a start alongside Andrew McDonald who was returning from suspension with David Wilson and Danny Strachan making way. Falkirk who were beaten 4-0 by Airdrie in their last outing were out to make it up to their fans with a quick goal and they came close on eight minutes. Williamson found himself in space on the right flank and he cut the ball back to Stephen McGinn who picked out Juan Alegria with a cross. His knockdown was perfect for Morrison to crack home however Ryan Strachan made a superb block. Five minutes later Morrison, who was to prove to be a thorn in Peterhead’s side all afternoon darted from just inside the visitors’ half and after dancing his way past a couple of challenges his parting shot was pushed away by Newman. Midway through the opening half Aidan Nesbitt crossed for Morrison who had ghosted in at the back post with the winger sending a header against the top of the bar and over. Peterhead were trying to force their way into the game at the other end however they found themselves under pressure again on 25 minutes with Newman having to save from Finn Yeats before denying Alegria twice in quick succession. Ten minutes from the break a raid on the Falkirk goal was halted by Coll Donaldson who teed up Morrison to run at the Blue Toon backline with Newman again excelling with a low diving save to his right after Morrison had let fly from 20 yards. Four minutes later Alegria hit the outside of the post with a header after referee Stewart Luke had missed a push on Ryan Strachan in the build-up. After sustaining all that home pressure Peterhead showed what they could do as an attacking force by grabbing the lead on 44 minutes. Conor O’Keefe darted clear on the left and his low cross was perfect for Gillies to run onto and side-foot the ball through Nicky Hogarth’s legs from 14 yards. The key for the men in yellow and blue was to hold onto their lead until the break however that did not happen as Williamson was allowed to run from deep inside his own half. After finding himself at the edge of Peterhead’s box he cracked home a left foot shot with the visiting management team left wondering why the full back’s run had not been halted. Falkirk left the pitch to cheers rather than jeers and they looked to build on that quickly into the restart when Alegria was sent clear however ex-Bairn Paul Dixon got back to make a crucial tackle with loud appeals for a penalty waved aside. Twelve minutes into the second half Peterhead charged forward however after their attack was cleared Nesbitt picked out Morrison with a cross-field pass. The Falkirk wide man bore down on Newman’s goal and after skipping past Dixon he sent a shot high into the net to give the hosts the lead. Morrison sent a shot over the bar and Nesbitt had a drive deflected over before O’Keefe was sent off for a late challenge on Leon McCann on 83 minutes with the Blue Toon camp believing that a yellow card would have sufficed. Newman made another fine stop with two minutes left when he pushed away a Morrison effort however from the resultant corner the ten men found themselves two goals behind. Sean Mackie nodded Nesbitt’s dead ball towards Oliver who was standing a yard from goal with the former Morton striker adding a head flick to ensure it went over the line.

Peterhead – Newman, Gillies, McDonald, R Strachan (Wilson 59), Dixon, Jack Brown (Jordon Brown 88), Murray (Wilkie 59), Scullion (McGale 76), Adeyemo, Dow, O’Keefe Unused substitutes – D Strachan, McLeod, Wood (G/k)

Post-Match Interview with Jim McInally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhKeQzl9INo

Falkirk v Peterhead

Falkirk v Peterhead

Falkirk 1 Peterhead 1 – First ever point at Falkirk but so close to claiming first ever win

Feb 23, 2022

Falkirk   1            Peterhead          1

Peterhead picked up a point at promotion chasing Falkirk in 1-1 draw with only the width of a post denying the red-shirted Blue Toon what would have been their first ever league victory at The Falkirk Stadium.

Ryan Duncan blasted Jim McInally’s side ahead in the first ten minutes however a header from Anton Dowds levelled the score before the break. In the second 45 minutes Brett Long made a fine stop from a Leigh Griffiths free-kick with Hamish Ritchie thumping an injury time chance for the visitors against the woodwork.

With Jason Brown out injured and a potential loan move for a defender not yet completed manager McInally switched skipper Scott Brown from midfield into a centre back position with recent signing Jack Brown starting in the middle of the pitch.

Within a minute of the game starting Andy McCarthy showed the desire of the Peterhead players to get a result with a solid tackle to gain possession however no danger threatened as the visitors looked to move forward.

Peterhead had an early scare when Jaze Kabia showed a fine turn of speed as he collected an Anton Dowds pass and ran clear however the striker chipped the ball over the advancing Brett Long and the bar.

A goal did arrive on nine minutes but it came at the over end with on-loan Aberdeen youngster Duncan scoring his second goal for the club. Niah Payne won possession on the half-way line and fed the ball to Hamish Ritchie who released the galloping Rico Quitongo on the left.

The full-back’s cross was prodded goalward by Jack Brown with Grant Savoury helping it further on its way before Robbie Mutch saved with his legs however Duncan thumped the rebound home from six yards.

Charlie Telfer slipped a shot wide of Long’s goal before Savoury was unlucky not to grab a second goal for Peterhead on 18 minutes with a low 20-yard drive that Mutch needed two attempts to save.


On 24 minutes Brett Long did well to push away a fierce Dowds effort however it was not one way traffic and with 30 minutes gone Duncan had a net-bound volley blocked with referee Peter Stuart deciding that Savoury was not fouled as he looked to get onto the rebound.

Visiting hopes of going in at the interval leading were dashed on 41 minutes when Telfer swung over a corner from left and Dowds got away from his marker to flick in a header from 6 yards out.

Payne, who impressed all night with his work-rate, showed that Peterhead were not going to sit in and look for a point early in the second half when he created space for himself at the edge of the box and fired for goal however Mutch got down to save.

Kabia picked up an injury on 54 minutes and he was replaced by Leigh Griffiths and the former Scotland striker showed that he can still crack in a fine dead ball when he tried his luck with a powerful 23 yard free-kick on 61 minutes however Long dived to his left to pull off a top stop.

Griffiths sent a shot wide on 66 minutes before the Blue Toon raced to the other end and Ritchie cut in from the left and curled a shot wide following a cute back heel from substitute Russell McLean.

On 74 minutes another piece of deft play from McLean sent Savoury through one on one with Mutch with the goalkeeper coming out on top as he stuck out a hand to push the midfielder’s shot past.

Gary Miller headed a Falkirk corner about a foot wide on 82 minutes and in the following minute the Bairns drew a sigh of relief as Mutch sliced a clearance towards his own goal with the ball flashing just past the post for a corner.

The fitness of the Peterhead players shone in injury time as a move started by Flynn Duffy in their own half was built on by Savoury who released Duncan on the right. The winger cut in and fired for goal and when his effort was blocked it ran invitingly across the 18-yard line to Ritchie who had charged up the pitch.

Ritchie did everything right in terms of slamming a first-time shot past Mutch however he could only watch on in despair as the ball rattled off a post and bounced to safety.

The final whistle sounded shortly afterwards with Peterhead having to be content with their first ever league point at the Falkirk Stadium.