Airdrieonians v Peterhead

Airdrieonians v Peterhead

Airdrie 1 Peterhead 1 – An unfortunate minute hurts the Blue Toon

May 1, 2022


Peterhead finished their League 1 season on 42 points after a 1-1 draw at promotion chasing Airdrie and it could have been 44 points had two unfortunate incidents within a minute not gone against the Blue Toon.

Grant Savoury scored a fine goal just on half-time for the Balmoor men however with an hour played an own goal from Simon Ferry levelled the score. Peterhead hit back instantly and were awarded a penalty however an unfortunate slip from Scott Brown saw the chance from 12 yards missed with the retiring Derek Lyle denied what would have been a winner with his last touch in senior football.

Shaun Want and Andrew McCarthy failed to fully shake off injuries and they were replaced by Gary Fraser and Hamish Ritchie with Flynn Duffy coming in for Owen Cairns in a re-organised defence that had Ferry and Andrew McDonald at the heart of it.

The Blue Toon survived an early scare against a Diamonds side looking to set a club record of 20 games undefeated after Rico Quitongo was harshly judged to have fouled Kyle MacDonald on the left.

Justin Devenny swung over the free-kick that was cleared to Dean Ritchie at the edge of the box and his first-time shot flashed inches wide.

On twelve minutes Scott Brown had Peterhead’s first attempt on goal when he accepted a pass from Savoury just inside Airdrie’s half. The visiting skipper carried the ball forward before testing Jay Cantley with a low 30-yard drive that was scooped up by the shot-stopper.

Four minutes later Airdrie’s Kyle MacDonald tested Long from a similar distance with the Peterhead number one also making a safe stop.

Midway through the opening half former Diamond Quitongo forced a corner that Ritchie fired across Airdrie’s goal at the second attempt with Cantley’s poor push away almost creating a chance for the visitors.

Scott Brown sent a curling effort towards Airdrie’s goal after ball broke to him at the edge of the box on 31 minutes but it was saved by Cantley.

Five minutes from the break Long picked the ball off Jordan Allan’s toes before Peterhead worked their way to the other end and Scott Brown tried his luck again with his shot drifting wide this time.

Right on half-time Peterhead took the lead thanks to a wonder strike from Savoury. A corner on the right had fallen to Simon Ferry some 20 yards from the home goal and he rolled a pass to Savoury who whipped in a first time shot that hit the inside of the post before bouncing across goal and hitting the net at the other side of the goal.

Four minutes into the restart Ritchie created space however his chipped effort was too direct at Cantley who saved easily. A MacDonald foul on Jordan Allan, which earned him a booking on 52 minutes, gave Devenny a shooting chance however Long was perfectly positioned to save.

Three minutes later Josh Kerr popped up behind Cantley to head away a dangerous Scott Brown shot, following a lightning Savoury break.

Jonathan Afolabi worked his way clear on 59 minutes only for Long to stick out a foot to save however an equaliser was only delayed until the following minute when Matty McDonald’s shot was deflected past Long by Ferry.

Peterhead should have retaken the lead within a minute after Niah Payne dribbled past the grounded Kerr who stuck out a hand to concede a penalty.


After Airdrie protests ended Scott Brown stepped up to take the spot-kick however he slipped as he kicked the ball and his shot cleared the bar.

Derek Lyle came off the bench to make the final appearance of his senior career with 17 minutes left when he replaced Payne with Alan Cook coming on for Gary Fraser at the same time.

With four minutes left it looked like Cook had released another substitute Jordon Brown however the ball raced into the waiting arms of Cantley with Cook denied a goal 60 seconds later when his deflected drive was saved.


In the final minute Ryan Duncan whipped over a free-kick and it looked for a second that Lyle was going to sign off with a goal when Cantley failed to gather however the shot-stopper recovered and took the ball away from what would have been a dream finish for the striker.

Peterhead –

Long, Quitongo, McDonald, Ferry, Duffy (Conroy 78), Fraser (Cook 73), Ritchie (Jordon Brown 78), Scott Brown, Savoury, Jack Brown (Duncan 55), Payne (Lyle 73)

Unused substitutes – Wilson (G/k), Strachan, Cairns

Peterhead v East Fife

Peterhead v East Fife

Peterhead 1 East Fife 0 – Fine strike wins the day

Apr 24, 2022


Peterhead picked up their fourth win in five games with a 1-0 home success over East Fife thanks to a goal from Jack Brown that was one of the best seen at Balmoor in many a season.

Brown was returned to the starting line-up at the expense of Ryan Duncan with Owen Cairns coming in to replace the suspended Jason Brown.

Manager Jim McInally went for a 3-5-2 formation with Simon Ferry, playing in his last match in the north-east, slotting in beside Andy McDonald and Shaun Want at the heart of the Blue Toon defence with Cairns playing in the right wing back role and Rico Quitongo on the left.

The hosts took the game to their already relegated opponents in the opening stages and forced three corners in the first eight minutes.

From the third one it looked like they were going to take the lead when Grant Savoury whipped over a terrific dead-ball however the Fifers’ defender Aaron Steel was able to get a vital header in and clear from under the bar.

Jack Brown had a looping effort saved by Jude Smith before a goal arrived on 11 minutes and everyone in the 676 crowd would agree that it was worth the admission money alone.

Niah Payne exchanged passes with Jack on the left before finding Scott Brown darting into the East Fife box with the Peterhead skipper backheeling a pass to Jack Brown who drilled home first time from 18 yards out.

With confidence flowing Quitongo fed the ball to McDonald, who was 25 yards from goal, and the defender let fly with his effort flashing across Smith’s goal before going wide.

East Fife began to force themselves into the game and an equaliser could have come on 21 minutes when Kyle Connell scampered down the left and picked out the in-rushing Jamie Semple however the striker side-footed wide.

Five minutes later Peterhead goalkeeper Brett Long reminded his former employers of his ability when he dived to his left to push away a Scott Mercer header from a Danny Denholm cross.

On 27 minutes Andrew McCarthy had to be replaced by Ryan Duncan after aggravating a hamstring problem with Jack Brown dropping back into midfield and the on-loan Aberdeen teenager playing in a striking role.

Peterhead moved back into attack and Savoury created space for himself before firing over and then Payne picked out Cairns with a cut-back only for Smith to block his shot with his legs.

Want produced a timely tackle on Jack Healy after Peterhead had lost possession at the edge of their box and in first half injury time Long produced another fine stop when he kept out a driven close-range effort from Healy.

Just before the half-time whistle Savoury and Scott Brown however his 20 yarder went over the bar.

Early into the restart Danny Swanson released Michael Cunningham but Long had read the danger and raced from his line to block the substitute’s effort.

On 63 minutes Payne looked set to grab the goal that his work-rate deserved when he picked up a pass from Duncan and bore down on goal. The one-time Bradford City youth took aim and fired in a shot that just drifted wide.

Ferry was replaced midway through the second half by Hamish Ritchie with the home crowd giving the player/ coach a fine send off ahead of his final game for the club at Airdrie next weekend.

Efforts from Savoury and Scott Brown went wide before East Fife threatened again with a long-distance dipping shot from Kieran Millar that Long leapt into the air to save.

On 76 minutes it looked like a leveller had arrived when Swanson picked out Ryan Blair on the left and his far post cross was perfect for Cunningham however his volley from two yards was scooped up by Long.

Six minutes from time Scott Brown unleashed a fierce effort that Smith did well to beat away.

Home substitutes Ritchie, Ryan Conroy and Derek Lyle combined in injury time and came within a couple of inches of adding a second. Conroy darted down the left to pick up Ritchie’s pass and his cross was met by the head of Lyle who nodded over Smith but the bar came to East Fife’s rescue.

Peterhead – Long, Cairns, Want, Ferry (Ritchie 69), McDonald, Quitongo (Conroy 78), Scott Brown, McCarthy (Duncan 27), Savoury, Jack Brown (Fraser 69), Payne (Lyle 79)

Unused substitutes – Wilson (G/k), Cook, Jordon Brown, Duffy