Peterhead v Dundee

Peterhead v Dundee

Peterhead out but they can be proud of display

Feb 15, 2022

Peterhead          0            Dundee               3

Peterhead may well be out of the Scottish Cup following a 3-0 defeat from Dundee at Balmoor in a tie that was shown live on BBC Scotland however it would be fair to say that everyone associated with the Blue Toon will be proud of the club today.

Jim McInally’s side put on a display that not only shook the Premiership side it was one that was good enough to win the tie however events conspired against them.  A penalty converted by former Scotland player Charlie Adam separated the sides at the break however that does not tell the story of an opening 45 minutes where the spin of the ball and Ryan Duncan sent spinning to the ground could have brought more than an equaliser.

Peterhead were on top in the second half and only a wonder save prevented parity being restored before a breakaway goal from ex-Aberdeen ace Niall McGinn doubled Dundee’s lead before Josh Mulligan reminded everyone at Peterhead how good he is by adding a late third.

McInally switched Ryan Conroy to right back in his starting line-up with Flynn Duffy returning to left back to allow fit again skipper Scott Brown to start in midfield. Grant Savoury also returned with the cup-tied Rico Quitongo and Owen Cairns dropping out as well as Russell McLean who moved to the bench to accommodate a fit again Hamish Ritchie

The pitch at Balmoor was widely praised before the game and it saw two teams open up quite early with Peterhead almost making a stunning start after just eight minutes. Andy McCarthy was fouled by Max Anderson and the dead ball was worked to Scott Brown who fired from goal from the edge of the box.

The ball swerved just before reaching Dundee shot-stopper Ian Lawlor however he was able to reposition his hands and beat it away.

Peterhead kept taking the game to their full-time opponents and Niah Payne wriggled clear 16 yards out before trying his luck however Lawlor was again equal to his effort.

Dundee forced a corner on 9 minutes and danger threatened with a far post header however Peterhead were soon back on top with Duncan forcing a corner at the other end.

A well-worked corner on 17 minutes almost produced the opener for the hosts however Ritchie’s low drive was saved by Lawlor at his near post.

The home side kept on pushing and probing however they were stung on 32 minutes when McGinn sent Paul McMullan through on goal. The Dens Park man took a heavy touch as he tried to skip past Brett Long however the home goalkeeper stuck out a foot that tripped McMullan and referee David Munro pointed to the spot.

Adam made an immaculate job of things from 12 yards as he sent the ball one way whilst Long dived the other.

Peterhead however refused to feel sorry for themselves and it looked like they had deservedly equalised six minutes later when Payne scampered up the right thing and fired over a low ball that Ritchie flicked for goal.

Lawlor was beaten all ends up however the ball struck the inside of the post and spun in the air before going out of play at the other side of the Dundee goal.

A minute from half-time an incident occurred that will be remembered long into the night in the north-east. Dundee’s Jordan McGhee passed back to Lawlor who took a tough to steady himself however the ball moved out of his control and Duncan was onto it in a flash.

The Dundee shot-stopper dived full length to prevent the on-loan Aberdeen attacker from retrieving it and took the legs from Duncan as he did it without getting near the ball.

Everyone at Balmoor waited to hear referee Munro’s whistle and finger point to the penalty spot (and also to see if he would brandish a red card) however nothing was forthcoming.

It would be inappropriate to add to the ‘noise’ the non-decision generated by the live TV coverage of the game however a blank space has been left in the match report should an explanation be received.




Just before the half-time whistle Shaun Byrne was booked for fouling Savoury and Andy McDonald stepped up to take the resultant free-kick however it was saved.

Peterhead came out determined to show that their first 45-minute display was going to be matched and midfielder McCarthy sent a shot whistling just past four minutes in.

A minute later Adam fouled Savoury 25 yards from the Dundee goal and Savoury took the free-kick. Cries of ‘goal’ as his swerving shot arrowed towards goal were heard until Lawlor leapt to his left to produce a stunning save.

Two minutes later Peterhead were beginning to realise that it was not going to be their night when Adam launched a 40-yard pass over the heads of the home defence where the darting McGinn took a touch and then fired underneath the advancing Long to give Dundee a two-goal lead that was underserved.

There was however to be no lying down and Payne had an 18-yard drive stopped by Lawlor and McDonald had a shot blocked.

McLean was introduced midway through the second half in a bid to get the goal that would spark a fightback and on 72 minutes Duncan had a pop at goal but the ball flew over.

A McDonald header was saved before another substitute Derek Lyle sent an effort just past the side-netting.

Long was equal to a header from Dundee replacement Christie Elliot before the final goal arrived through Mulligan who spent the first half of the season in Blue Toon colours.

McGinn slipped the ball into the substitute’s path and the Dark Blues sub sent a shot curling past former team-mate Long and high into the net.

Peterhead  –

Long, Conroy (McLean 67), Jason Brown, McDonald, Duffy, McCarthy, Scott Brown, Ritchie (Jordon Brown 82), Duncan (Cook 82), Savoury, Payne (Lyle 76)

Unused substitutes – (Cullen g/k)

Peterhead v East Kilbride

Peterhead v East Kilbride

Cool heads help Peterhead progress in tricky tie

Jan 23, 2022

Peterhead          2            East Kilbride       2 (after extra time)

Peterhead won 5-3 on penalties

Peterhead squeezed themselves into the last sixteen of the Scottish Cup, and a tie against Dundee, thanks to a 5-3 penalty kick success against Lowland League East Kilbride following a 2-2 draw at Balmoor.


Blue Toon manager Jim McInally had warned his side that they were in for a tough afternoon against the K-Park men, and he was proven right, with former senior striker Joao Victoria opening and closing the scoring with Russell McLean and Andy McCarthy netting for the hosts in-between.

Both McLean and McCarthy kept their heads to net during the shoot-out along with Andy McDonald, Derek Lyle and Ryan Duncan with East Kilbride’s James Finlay the unlucky player who saw his spot-kick rattle back off the bar.

Jason Brown returned to the starting line-up following suspension in place of skipper Scott Brown who was not fully fit after picking up an injury in training with Grant Savoury preferred to Niah Payne in attack.

Peterhead started brightly and after forcing a couple of corners in the opening 10 minutes Flynn Duffy tried his luck from distance however his effort flew over the bar.

East Kilbride took the lead with a lightning raid on 11 minutes after the hosts had given away possession just inside the visitors’ half. Neil McLaughlin threaded a pass through to Victoria who skipped past Simon Ferry before planting a shot past Brett Long in the home goal.

David Wilson and Jason Brown fired wide of the East Kilbride goal as Peterhead looked to hit back quickly and Ryan Duncan had an effort charged down on 29 minutes before Cammy Elliot gave McInally’s side a scare with a header that brought out a save from Long.

Savoury and Duncan looked to drive Peterhead on and put pressure on Conor Brennan’s goal before former home favourite Jamie Stevenson gave the crowd a reminder of his long-distance shooting prowess with a shot from 35 yards that Long had to watch carefully.

It looked like East Kilbride would lead at the break however things changed around dramatically in the final two minutes of the first 45.

Firstly, a deep cross to the back post was headed goalward by Wilson. The ball looked to be going out however Duncan reacted sharply and whipped it back across goal where McLean hooked home.


It got even better for Peterhead right on the half-time whistle when McCarthy prodded a pass into the East Kilbride box that was intercepted. The ball spun in the air and McCarty met it with a thumping volley that beat Brennan all ends up.

From one nil down to two one up in the space of two minutes.


Savoury was denied a goal early in the second half and McLaughlin sounded out a message that the tie was not won on 50 minutes with an effort that had to be blocked before troubling Long.

Jason Brown headed a corner over five minutes later and Peterhead were to pay for not extending their lead 15 minutes later.

Substitute Jack Stainrod darted clear from the half-way line and went through one on one with Long. The shot-stopper made a fine block however the home defence never regained their composure and an Elliot knock down was headed home by Victoria.

To their credit the home players did not panic and started to take control of the game again however Duncan and McCarthy could not create the half chances that were created.

Just before extra time was called for substitute Derek Lyle rose highest to meet a corner however his header was clutched by Brennan.

In the first half of the additional 30 minutes McLean went close on two occasions before Payne was denied by Brennan with East Kilbride looking dangerous on the break.

In the final 15 minutes Lyle and McLean had glimpses at goal before Jordon Brown headed the last chance of the game wide.

Penalties were called for and McDonald, McCarthy and Duncan had netted from 12 yards with McLaughlin and Elliot doing likewise before Finlay hit the wood-work.

Lyle made it 4-2 before Ciaran McAninch piled pressure on McLean ahead of his side’s fifth kick which he despatched into the net to secure Peterhead’s progress.

Peterhead – Long, Ferry, Jason Brown, Wilson (Payne 71), McDonald, Duffy, McCarthy, Ritchie (Jordon Brown 97), Duncan, McLean, Savoury (Lyle 71)

Unused substitutes – Cullen (G/k), Scott Brown

Civic City Strollers v Peterhead

Civic City Strollers v Peterhead

Peterhead storm past Civil Service Strollers

Nov 28, 2021

Civil Service Strollers      0            Peterhead          3

Peterhead secured their place in the draw for tomorrow’s Fourth Round Draw of the Scottish Cup with a 3-0 win at Christie Gillies Park in Edinburgh over Lowland League Civil Service Strollers.

The Balmoor side had to be patient to get their noses in front against a host side who were reduced to ten men in the first half. After the break Russell McLean netted from the spot, Scott Brown, who missed a penalty in the opening 45 minutes, grabbed a second and substitute Lyall Cameron completed the scoring with a late third.

Blue Toon Manager Jim McInally was denied the services of Josh Mulligan due to illness with Andrew McCarthy returning in his absence after a ban with Hamish Ritchie starting after injury in place of Danny Strachan who was on the bench.

Civil Service started strongly as manager McInally predicted and forced a corner after four minutes. In the following minute they also had the game’s first chance when Scott Clapperton was given a glimpse of goal however his effort was blocked.

On 12 minutes McLean had Peterhead’s first attempt with a long-distance effort that rose and cleared the goal.

Ahead of the 20-minute mark the hosts Joao Balde tested Long with a couple of shots in quick succession with the Peterhead shot-stopper equal to the Portuguese winger’s efforts.

Long was also equal to a header from Alieau Faye following a corner midway through the opening half with visiting skipper Scott Brown going close with a drive shortly afterwards.

Balde was involved again on 28 minutes however this time it was not positive as he crunched into a challenge on Flynn Duffy and referee Chris Graham brandished a red card.

Peterhead looked to make the extra man count quickly with Scott Brown, Ritchie and Payne peppering the Strollers’ goal with shots.

Two minutes from the break it looked like the visitors would make their breakthrough from the penalty spot when Lewis Duffy fouled McLean. The usually reliable Scott Brown took responsibility for the kick however his effort was saved by Mac Whyte down to his right.

Peterhead were given a reminder four minutes into the second half that the tie was not won as Robbie Cole rattled a post with a shot with the ball rebounding straight into Long’s arms.

That scare was soon forgotten as the opening goal for the Blue Toon arrived on 54 minutes after they were awarded their second penalty of the afternoon. McLean was fouled by Whyte and the striker took responsibility from 12 yards and sent the ball to the left of the shot-stopper who had dived the other way.

Four minutes later and Peterhead had more than one foot in the next round with captain Brown making up for his penalty kick miss by drilling into the net from the edge of the box.

Ritchie came close to adding a quick fire third before Grant Savoury had a shot charged down with 20 minutes left.

Substitute Cameron fired over on 79 minutes however the on-loan Dundee youngster wrapped up the scoring in injury time from close range with McLean having a hand in creating the goal.


Peterhead –

Long, Wilson, Jason Brown, McDonald, Ritchie (Lyle 63), McCarthy, S Brown, Duffy, McLean, Savoury (Jordon Brown 88), Payne (Cameron 75)

Unused substitutes – Strachan, Wilson (G/k)