Peterhead 2 Dumbarton 1

May 6, 2024

Peterhead welcomed Dumbarton to Balmoor on Saturday as The Blue Toon played their last league fixture of the 2023/2024 league campaign. With the two teams battling for second place, it was Peterhead who were triumphant and secured the silver spot.

Starting XI: McKenzie, D. Strachan, Wilson, Ross (C), Armstrong, McKee, Jo. Brown, Stewart, Ward, Shanks, McAllister.

As the Blue Toon fog reduced visibility at Balmoor, it didn’t take Shanks long to find the goal on his return from suspension. After six minutes, Ward excellently beat his man on the left hand side and found Shanks with a cross; who managed to loop his headed effort over the head of O’Neal in the Dumbarton goal. With Peterhead in control, McKenzie initiated a counter attack with a long ball to McKee who flicked it onwards to Robert Ward. Ward’s shot was palmed away by O’Neal but only as far as Stewart; who couldn’t keep his shot down. Shanks with a goal to his name on the day and covering the distance on the pitch, Dumbarton defender Lennon was first to be cautioned after numerous fouls on the Peterhead number ten. With the Blue Toon pushing to double their lead, Jordon Brown’s cross was knocked down by David Wilson but Rory McAllister couldn’t keep his effort on target. Peterhead didn’t have to wait long however until their second came; when Alfie Stewart’s corner was headed away but only as far as McKee who’s first time volley from the edge of the Dumbarton box came off Jordon Brown and into the back of the visitors’ net. With half time approaching, Rory McAllister’s headed effort from Armstrong’s cross beat O’Neal, but his goal didn’t stand as it was deemed offside. Against the run of play, Dumbarton forward Michael Ruth had a shot from distance however his effort was routinely dealt with by McKenzie.

HT: Peterhead 2 – 0 Dumbarton.

Dumbarton came out in the second half having made three substitutes at half time as Durnan, Newbury and Ruth were replaced by Malcolm, Graham and Crighton. Only three minutes after the interval, Dumbarton’s David Wilson managed to beat McKenzie and pulled one back for the visitors. With Dumbarton searching for an equaliser and The Blue Toon looking to extend their lead, both sides made double changes as Joe McKee and Alfie Stewart made way for Hamish Ritchie and Jack Brown whilst C. Wilson and Wallace were replaced by Pignatiello and Kelly. With twenty minutes of regular time to play, Jordon Brown became the first Peterhead player to enter the referee’s book as he was cautioned for a high challenge. Moments later he was given his marching orders after picking up a second yellow card. Now down to ten men, The Blue Toon responded to the sending off by replacing Kieran Shanks with Peter Pawlett. With both sides seeking a goal, Dumbarton forward Hilton came close when his effort hit the woodwork. The match ended end-to-end however there were no real opportunities for either side.

FT: Peterhead 2 – 1 Dumbarton.

MOTM: Rory McAllister.

Attendance: 811

After securing a victory in their last league match of the season, Peterhead end the season in second place and therefore play The Spartans on Tuesday evening and Saturday afternoon in the playoffs.