Elgin City 1 Peterhead 1

Apr 22, 2024

Peterhead travelled to Borough Briggs on Saturday as The Blue Toon were visitors to rivals Elgin City.

Elgin had the opportunity to secure a spot in League 2 next season as a victory on the day would secure their safety; whilst Peterhead aimed to keep hold of second place.

Starting XI: McKenzie, Goldie, Jas. Brown (C), R. Strachan, Duffy, Jack Brown, Pawlett, O’Keefe, Ward, Ritchie, Stewart.

With Rory McAllister sidelined with injury and Kieran Shanks serving his suspension, The Blue Toon fielded an improvised attack as the hosts got the ball rolling at Borough Briggs. With the incentive of safety spurring Elgin City on, an early shot at goal from distance was routinely collected by McKenzie. With neither side enjoying positive spells of possession early on, it was Elgin who were able to capitalise the head of defender Ross Draper as he rose highest to meet the cross in from Dingwall’s corner. With the hosts in front after ten minutes, it was Elgin City who created the best chances as Dingwall’s attempt inside the Peterhead penalty area ricoched off Jason Brown and out for a corner. With ten minutes to play til half time, Peterhead were forced into their first change of the afternoon as the injured Flynn Duffy was replaced by Jordan Armstrong. After an Elgin free kick was crossed into the Peterhead box and well caught by McKenzie, the Peterhead shot-stopper initiated a counter attack and sent the ball long to Conor O’Keefe. O’Keefe saw Elgin City goalkeeper Tom McHale off his line and from distance out on the touchline O’Keefe tried his luck to float the ball into the Elgin net; however his effort was narrowly wide of the far post. With Peterhead seemingly getting into the match as half time approached, Ward did well to break down an Elgin attack before Stewart found himself with the ball out wide. Stewart’s defence-splitting ball found O’Keefe who managed to round McHale and slotted the ball into the hosts’ goal; however the flag was up and O’Keefe was offside. With interval looming, the referee showed yellow cards to Jason Brown, Keith Bray and Peter Pawlett for harsh challenges.

HT: Elgin City 1 – 0 Peterhead.

It was Peterhead’s turn to kick off after half time at Borough Briggs as The Blue Toon searched for an equaliser. Continuing in similar fashion to the first half, McKenzie did extremely well to deny Elgin City a second goal as he stopped Golding’s close range shot with his feet before deflecting the forward’s shot wide from the edge of the Peterhead box. After an early scare from the hosts, The Blue Toon enjoyed a positive spell of possession where Peterhead attempted to break down the Elgin defence. Shortly into the second half, Robert Ward looked to start a counterattack from an Elgin corner however was brought down by Bray who received a second yellow card and was shown red. With Peterhead now having a one man advantage, the hosts still pushed to double their lead as McKenzie was called into action once again to deny Golding with his feet. As The Blue Toon searched for a leveller, Peterhead made their second change of the afternoon as Andy McCarthy replaced Jason Brown. With twenty minutes remaining, Conor O’Keefe became the third Blue Toon player to be shown yellow. Robert Ward then made way for Jordon Brown in Peterhead’s third substitution. With Peterhead taking advantage of the extra man, Ritchie forced a save from McHale as the goalkeeper got down low to deny Ritchie’s effort from range. The hosts responded with two changes as Dangana and Golding made way for Jamieson and Jones. In a bid to level the scoreline, McCarthy’s effort soared over the Elgin crossbar from the edge of the box with ten minutes of regular time remaining. Peterhead’s final change saw Jack Brown replaced by Scott Ross; followed by Elgin swapping Gallagher for MacLeman. Into injury time, Peterhead finally got their breakthrough as Peter Pawlett rose highest to meet Alfie Stewart’s corner. With the scoreline level and The Blue Toon frantically searching for a winner, Ryan Strachan’s shot from the edge of the box was deflected past the far post.

FT: Elgin City 1 – 1 Peterhead.

With two headers from set pieces making up a goal apiece at Borough Briggs, The Blue Toon remain in second place with two league two matches to play.