Peterhead 2 Forfar Athletic 1

Apr 15, 2024

Peterhead welcomed Forfar Athletic to Balmoor on Saturday in match week 33 of league 2.

With Peterhead aiming to hold on to second place for the remainder of the season, Forfar Athletic made the short trip north in search of three points which would further bolster their survival chances.

Starting XI: McKenzie, Goldie, Jas. Brown (C), R. Strachan, Duffy, McKee, Jo. Brown, Pawlett, Ritchie, Ward, Shanks.

As usual, the strong Balmoor wind played its part as Jordon Brown got the ball rolling. With The Blue Toon accustomed to the Peterhead conditions and controlling the match early on, it was the visitors who enjoyed early chances. Early opportunities for Kieran Inglis and Josh Skelly were both off target as their shots were high of the Peterhead crossbar. After half an hour, Peterhead got their first chance of the afternoon however Joe McKee’s free kick effort was marginally wide of McCallum’s goal. Robert Ward was the first player of the afternoon to enter the referee’s book, after being cautioned for a foul in the middle of the pitch. As the Blue Toon enjoyed the majority of possession, Ryan Strachan was unable to keep his effort down as his volley from a McKee corner was fired over the Forfar goal. With half time approaching, Peterhead were forced into an early substitution as Joe McKee came off with an injury and was replaced by Jack Brown. Peter Pawlett was shown a yellow card by the referee right on the stroke of half time.

HT: Peterhead 0 – 0 Forfar Athletic.

Forfar resumed the match after the interval as the wind blew on in Balmoor.

Shortly after the break, Peterhead found their breakthrough through Hamish Ritchie who after a scramble from a corner in the Forfar box, managed to slot the ball past Marc McCallum. With Peterhead in the lead, chances fell for both sides as Inglis’ volley was well collected by McKenzie and Ritchie’s volley was off target. As The Blue Toon aimed to extend their lead, Hamish Ritchie and Robert Ward were replaced by Alfie Stewart and Conor O’Keefe; whilst Forfar retaliated by replacing Inglis and Lobban with Ross and Mohammed. After a double substitution from the visitors, forward Daniel Scally pulled one back as his header beat McKenzie. With The Blue Toon defence caught off guard, Josh Skelly looked set to score as was is 1-on-1 with McKenzie; however his timid attempt was well blocked by the goalkeeper. Shortly after a big Forfar miss, Peterhead took the lead once again after Kieran Shanks played a through ball to Jack Brown who managed to cut inside and beat McCallum with a low driven shot at his near post. Into the final ten minutes of regular time, managers Jordon Brown and Ryan Strachan made way for Scott Ross and Danny Strachan as Peterhead made their final changes. Forfar responded by swapping Skelly for Mykyta as they searched for an equaliser. As The Blue Toon held onto their lead and Forfar frantically tried to level the scoreline, the match drews to a close with late bookings for Whatley, Nditi, Shanks, and Jack Brown.

FT: Peterhead 2 – 1 Forfar Athletic.

MOTM: Peter Pawlett

Attendance: 670

Second half goals from Hamish Ritchie and Jack Brown and two assists from Kieran Shanks were enough to seal a victory for The Blue Toon who confirmed their place in the playoff spots.