Peterhead 4 Clyde 1

Mar 31, 2024

Peterhead welcomed Clyde to Balmoor on Saturday as the visitors battled for the opportunity to rise from the bottom of League 2.

Starting XI: McKenzie, D. Strachan, R. Strachan, Jas. Brown (C), Duffy, McKee, McCarthy, Pawlett, Ritchie, O’Keefe, Shanks.

As Jason Brown came back into the starting lineup and donned the captain’s armband after a period on the sidelines, the Blue Toon started the game well. Controlling possession, it’s was not long before Peter Pawlett was brought down in the Clyde penalty area and after sending Kinnear in the visiting goal the wrong way, fired his penalty into the top right corner. With Peterhead taking an early lead, Clyde looked to quickly level the scoreline again through the head of Jordan Allan however after a well delivered ball to the back post, McKenzie did brilliantly to block the striker’s effort from close range. Still pushing for an equaliser, the linesman spared Allan’s blushes as he was flagged for offside after his short range attempt was well off target. With the usual Balmoor wind impacting the match, a long ball forward was held up in the air; forcing a foul to be committed on Hamish Ritchie in the Clyde box. Pawlett stepped up to the penalty spot once again and despite Kinnear getting a strong hand to the ball, Pawlett converted his second of the afternoon. With Pawlett on a hat-trick, Shanks skipped away from the Clyde defence and played the ball to Pawlett whose shot was blocked but fell to O’Keefe. After making a driving run and getting his shot off, O’Keefe’s attempt was denied by Kinnear. With Peterhead well in control, Clyde forward Martin Rennie had a shot from distance however his effort was well high and almost left Balmoor altogether. As half time approached, O’Keefe made a driving run down the left wing but was brought down by Cuddihy; who was lucky to only receive yellow as O’Keefe appeared to be through on goal. Joe McKee crossed in the subsequent free kick however Jason Brown couldn’t direct his header on target.

HT: Peterhead 2 – 0 Clyde.

As the match resumed after the interval, Clyde make a triple substitution as Rennie, Sula and McGinn were replaced by Leitch, Kabia and Grant. Peterhead also made changes of their own as Jordan Armstrong and Rory McAllister replaced Kieran Shanks and Danny Strachan. Beginning the second half in similar style to the first, Ritchie’s shot from 25 yards was easily collected by Kinnear. With The Blue Toon aiming to further extend their lead, Duffy’s corner was brought down by the head of McAllister and Pawlett was in the right place at the right time to fire home his and Peterhead’s third of the afternoon. With the visitors visibly frustrated and now trailing by three goals, Clyde midfielder Craig Howie was shown yellow after a late challenge on Conor O’Keefe. Against the run of play, Clyde were able to pull a goal back through substitute Leitch; who slotted the ball past McKenzie. With sixty minutes gone and after completing his hat-trick, Peter Pawlett got a standing ovation as he was replaced by Alfie Stewart; whilst Clyde swapped Dunachie on for Cuddihy. As the visitors seem to be coming more and more into the game, they had the ball into the back of the net; however it was rightly disallowed after Allan was guilty of handling the ball. In an attempt to regain control of the match, Hamish Ritchie made way for Robert Ward. With fifteen minutes of regular time remaining, Kabia entered the referee’s book for a high foul on Jason Brown. Making their last substitutions; Clyde replaced Ballantyne with Young and Peterhead introduced Jordon Brown as Conor O’Keefe made way. As the game drew to a close, the visitors were awarded a free kick marginally outside the Peterhead box. Kabia aimed for the top left corner but McKenzie pulled off a miraculous save to deny him. Perhaps in retaliation to frustration, Kabia moments later received a second yellow card for a rash challenge and Clyde were down to ten men for the final minutes. With Peterhead really in control of the match, Jordon Brown should have put the game to bed from close range however Kinnear denied the manager. If unsuccessful for Jordon, Joe McKee was able to fire past Kinnear from close range after the midfielder was first to meet Alfie Stewart’s corner. Now into injury time and The Blue Toon leading by four goals to one, the game concluded with Clyde defender seeing yellow for yet again another late challenge from the visitors.

FT: Peterhead 4 – 1 Clyde.

MOTM: Ryan Strachan.

Attendance: 691

After a blustery day at Balmoor, it’s Peterhead who are able to take advantage of the conditions to easily overcome Clyde who still occupy the bottom spot in League 2.