Peterhead 2 Stranraer 0

Mar 10, 2024

Peterhead hosted Stranraer to Balmoor on Saturday as The Blue Toon entered the last quarter of the season. Having already faced Stranraer three times in the league this campaign, to date the home side had come out on top on all occasions.

Starting XI: McKenzie, D. Strachan, Goldie, R. Strachan, Duffy, McKee (C), Jack Brown, Stewart, Ritchie, O’Keefe, Shanks.

As the away side got the ball rolling at Balmoor, Stranraer had their tails up after their midweek trouncing of Dumbarton as they scored five at Stair Park.

The first opportunity of the match came from Hamish Ritchie however his effort from distance was easily collected by Budinauckas in the Stranraer goal. With Peterhead starting the match on the front foot, a long ball forward was well controlled by Shanks who’s pass to Ritchie was followed by a through ball to O’Keefe who fired past the goalkeeper and found the far side of the net. With Peterhead deservedly in front, the visitors had minimal chances to equalise as Ross headed over the Peterhead crossbar and Fleming’s strike was well off target. With ten minutes to play until half time, Alfie Stewart was presented with a great opportunity to double the lead however once through on goal after a well-worked move by the hosts, Budinauckas did well to deny the midfielder. With Stewart unable to add to the scoreline, O’Keefe turned from scorer to assister as his ball into the box was met by the outside of Shanks’ boot and directed past the Stranraer goalkeeper.

After a promising first half display, The Blue Toon went in at half time with a two goal advantage.

HT: Peterhead 2 – 0 Stranraer.

Alfie Stewart kicked off the second half and after a performance full of confidence in the first half, The Blue Toon immediately looked to pick up where they left off. With five minutes gone, Stranraer defender Chris McQueen was fortunate to only be shown yellow after a high challenge on Jack Brown. Closely following suit in similar fashion, Craig Ross was also fortunate to still be on the pitch after a studs-up challenge above the waist on Ritchie was only deemed worthy of a yellow card. With Peterhead fully in control of the match, a scramble in the Stranraer box saw shots by Danny Strachan, Jack Brown and Kieran Shanks all blocked by defenders before Joe McKee’s attempt from twenty yards was saved by Budinauckas. Around the sixty minute mark, both sides made their first substitutions as Andy McCarthy came on for Jack Brown and a double change for the visitors saw Johnston and Armour make way for Dolan and Lang. Against the run of play, a rare Stranraer chance saw Robertson through on goal however McKenzie did brilliantly to make himself big and deny the midfielder. With Robertson determined to pull one back for the visitors, Duffy did well to block the midfielder’s efforts. With twenty minutes of regular time to play, Danny Strachan was the first Peterhead player to enter the referee’s book and both sides made double changes; for Peterhead Pawlett and Ward replaced O’Keefe and Stewart whilst for Stranraer Fleming and Ecrepont were replaced by Orr and Williamson. As the match drew to a close with Peterhead well in control but unable to find a third, Grant was booked for the visitors for a foul on Duffy.

FT: Peterhead 2 – 0 Stranraer. As two first half goals from O’Keefe and Shanks were enough to seal a victory over Stranraer, once again the home side came out on top.

MOTM: Danny Strachan

Attendance: 606