Dumbarton 1 Peterhead 0

Mar 5, 2024

Peterhead travelled to The Rock on Saturday where The Blue Toon paid Dumbarton a visit. With the away side unbeaten in their last six matches, the hosts were going into Saturday’s clash coming off the back of a narrow victory over Peterhead’s next opponents; Stranraer.

Starting XI: McKenzie, Wilson, Goldie, D. Strachan, Duffy, McKee, McCarthy (C), Jo. Brown, Pawlett, Shanks, McAllister.

The hosts got the game going at The Rock as the uneven Dumbarton surface made for tricky playing conditions. With the majority of the opening minutes being played in the air, neither team were able to gain much momentum due to the rough terrain. As Dumbarton offered to test The Blue Toon defence by playing a number of crosses into the Peterhead box, Stuart McKenzie was yet to be troubled after twenty five minutes. With twenty minutes to play until half time, Peterhead were forced to make their first change of the afternoon as the injured Rory McAllister was replaced by Hamish Ritchie. Ritchie who was immediately involved in the Peterhead attack as his shot was well blocked by the Dumbarton defence. As the interval approached, Caleb Goldie received a yellow card for committing a foul on the edge of The Blue Toon box; the resulting free kick went narrowly wide of goal. After a first half of long range passes and off target shots, both teams entered the dressing rooms goalless.

HT: Dumbarton 0 – 0 Peterhead.

Peter Pawlett kicked off the second half and with the conditions underfoot not getting any better, Peterhead looked to take advantage through Hamish Ritchie, however once again his shot was blocked inside the Dumbarton penalty area. Eight minutes into the second half, Peter Pawlett went down and was replaced by Alfie Stewart. In similar fashion to Goldie’s bookable offence in the first half, Danny Strachan followsed suit and entered the referee’s book after his foul on the edge of the box. From the subsequent free kick, McKenzie did extremely well to get down and keep the scoreline level as he got a hand to the low driven shot. With twenty two minutes of regular time remaining, David Wilson was the latest player to pull up with an injury and was replaced by Jordan Armstrong; alongside Robert Ward who came in for Jordon Brown. Shortly after Peterhead made their final changes, the hosts made their first as Dumbarton’s David Wilson made way for Aaron Healy. Moments later, a scrappy sequence of play in Peterhead’s half of the pitch where noone was able to keep the ball down ended with Michael Ruth taking an audacious strike on the edge of The Blue Toon box. Ruth’s shot was enough to beat McKenzie and reach the top corner to give Dumbarton the lead. With the match drawing to a close, Dumbarton midfielder Tony Wallace attempted to double the home side’s lead as he managed to cut inside to get a shot away. McKenzie did well to react and palm away the danger. As Peterhead searched frantically for a leveler, Hogarth in the Dumbarton goal did well to deny numerous Peterhead attempts from close range before the ball fell to Danny Strachan; who fired his shot well over the crossbar.

FT: Dumbarton 1 – 0 Peterhead.

In a game where conditions underfoot made keeping the ball under control a hard task for both teams, Michael Ruth’s fine finish was enough to seal all three points for the home side. With plenty of the match played in the air, The Blue Toon will aim to bounce back next Saturday when Stranraer visit Balmoor.