Peterhead 1 Elgin City 1

Feb 25, 2024

Peterhead hosted derby rivals Elgin City to Balmoor on Saturday as The Blue Toon looked to extend their unbeaten run. Having not lost in five matches, Peterhead had only won once; sharing the points on all other occasions.

Starting XI: McKenzie, Wilson, Goldie, D. Strachan, Duffy, McKee, McCarthy (C), Pawlett, O’Keefe, Shanks, McAllister.

With The Blue Toon on the hunt for three points at Balmoor on Saturday, Shanks got the ball rolling as Jordon and Ryan’s squad aimed to turn the ties into victories. After a positive start for Peterhead, Shanks looked to be in the mood as he had two early attempts well saved by McHale in the Elgin City net; including what would have been goal of the season contender after a bit of trickery from the forward. As Elgin sat back and looked to hit on the counter attack, McKenzie did well to deny Elgin City striker Golding. A rarity for Peterhead as of late; it was third time lucky for Shanks as The Blue Toon took an early lead after Danny Strachan’s cross found the blue number 10 in the Elgin box. With time to take a touch, Shanks smashed the ball past McHale to give the hosts an early advantage at home. Against the run of play, the visitors broke away on the counter attack and after cutting inside, Elgin midfielder Taylor sliced his shot well wide of McKenzie’s goal. One minute later, Elgin produced a similar move however this time it was Dayshonne Golding who took the shot and beat McKenzie as the Elgin striker found the top corner. With the scoreline level, visiting defender Jake Dolzanski was the first player of the afternoon to enter the referee’s book after a foul on Andy McCarthy on the edge of the Elgin box. Subsequently, Rory McAllister’s low driven free kick effort was marginally wide. With ten minutes until the interval, Elgin come more into the game and looked more dangerous going forward. Golding was close to giving the visitors the lead however after his shot beat McKenzie, David Wilson did exceptionally well to deny the forward from the goal line. After an end-to-end first half, the last piece of action came from The Blue Toon when, after a long ball forward from Shanks to McAllister, his strike partner only hit the side netting with his volleyed effort.

HT: Peterhead 1 – 1 Elgin City.

As Elgin City got the second half underway, Joe McKee was replaced by Hamish Ritchie as Peterhead made their first substitution at half time. The first chance of the second half was a big one and came from Golding who, after poking the ball past an onrushing McKenzie, saw his attempt ricochet off the outside of The Blue Toon post. With Peterhead inches from trailing, the visitors made their first replacement as Taylor made way for Dangana; followed closely by Jordon Brown replacing Conor O’Keefe. Keith Bray enters the book for a late challenge. Jordon Brown looks to make an instant impact after laying the ball off for Pawlett, however The Blue Toon midfielder’s shot was over the Elgin crossbar. As both sides searched to push ahead, Elgin midfielder Dingwall found himself behind a huge goalscoring chance however couldn’t keep his effort on target. With fourteen minutes of regular time remaining, Peterhead had their best chance of the half to go ahead as McHale denied McAllister’s shot from a loose ball and Shanks couldn’t keep his acrobatic effort down from the follow up. Elgin made their second switch of the afternoon as Jones came on for Bray; followed by Golding making way for Jamieson. As both teams looked for a winner in the dying moments, Peterhead only accumulated yellow cards as Danny Strachan, McAllister, Shanks, Pawlett, McCarthy and Jordon Brown were all cautioned late on.

FT: Peterhead 1 – 1 Elgin City.

MOTM: Danny Strachan

Attendance: 887

Peterhead had to yet again settle for a point after Dayshonne Golding’s equaliser cancelled out Kieran Shanks’ early strike. With The Blue Toon now unbeaten in six matches, Saturday’s tie with Elgin City was Peterhead’s fourth successive draw.