Forfar Athletic 1 Peterhead 3

Oct 8, 2023

On a day where the weather affected many Scottish football fixtures, the artificial surface at Station Park allowed Peterhead to play their 9th match of the Cinch League 2 campaign against hosts Forfar Athletic.

STARTING XI: McKenzie, R. Strachan, Jas Brown (c), Ross, D. Strachan, McKee, McCarthy, Jack Brown, O’Keefe, Shanks, McAllister.

With the rain teeming down in Forfar, The Blue Toon were un-phased by the common Peterhead weather. Starting the match in similar fashion to the week prior, it wasn’t long before O’Keefe fired Peterhead in front. After only 5 minutes, a quick move starting from McKenzie in goals found McCarthy in the centre of the pitch who sent a through ball to O’Keefe to slide the ball under McCallum in the Forfar goal. Only moments later, Jack Brown’s attempt to double The Blue Toon lead was dealt with fantastically by McCallum after a well worked run from O’Keefe who then found Brown inside the Forfar box. Following a brief spell of play with both teams enjoying possession and shared chances at goal, it was McKenzie who kept Peterhead in front after Nditi’s volley from the edge of the Peterhead penalty area was on target, however McKenzie’s late reaction was enough to keep the ball out of the net. Peterhead’s response to McKenzie’s save looked positive as it didn’t take long for O’Keefe to grab his second goal of the game and double Peterhead’s lead. After fine link-up play between McKee and Jack Brown, a flick-on by McAllister played the ball into space outside the Forfar penalty area and was met by an oncoming Conor O’Keefe who with his first touch, found the top right corner from 25-yards out; leaving McCallum with no chance.

Half Time: Forfar Athletic 0 – 2 Peterhead.

With Forfar Athletic kicking off the 2nd half, it was the home side who enjoyed a comfortable twenty minute spell, taking Peterhead by surprise. With McKenzie working hard to keep the hosts at bay, a tremendous reaction save kept the scoreline at 2-0 after a Forfar attack down the left wing found Skelly in the middle, who’s effort was saved by the goalkeeper. Skelly got his reward however as after 15 minutes of Forfar attacking play, the host’s striker fired the ball past McKenzie to half The Blue Toon lead. The hosts continued to look for an equaliser after a triple Forfar substitution in the 60th minute immediately impacted the game; with two quick chances McKenzie and the Peterhead defence were able to deal with effectively. After 20 minutes of defending the lead, O’Keefe changed Peterhead’s rhythm by searching for his hat-trick, however his effort from the left went narrowly over the crossbar. The first Peterhead substitution saw O’Keefe and McCarthy making way for Ritchie and Armstrong. As the rain poured down in Forfar, the replacements got straight to work with Ritchie testing McCallum from 25-yards out in his attempt to wrap up the game. With Forfar showing little sign of finding a goal to level, The Blue Toon pushed on and it was Danny Strachan who had his long range attempt fly over the home goal. With pressure piling on the host’s defence, Shanks did well to win the ball back in the Forfar box before pulling it back for McAllister to extend Peterhead’s lead. That would be our number 9’s last contribution at Station Park as he made way for Reid. With The Blue Toon having a two goal advantage and the game put to bed, a final substitution for the visitors in the 92nd minute saw Wilson replace Shanks to see the game out.

Full Time: Forfar Athletic 1 – 3 Peterhead.

In a match where the wet conditions undoubtedly played their part, it was Peterhead that left Station Park with all 3 points. The Blue Toon extend their winning run to 5 matches in all competitions and remain two points clear at the top of League 2.

Congratulations are not only in order for the squad but also for Andy McCarthy who grabbed himself an assist in his 100th appearance for Peterhead. Manager Jordon Brown had a great day off the pitch as he became a father for the first time, congratulations gaffer!