Stranraer 2 Peterhead 1

Sep 4, 2023

Peterhead made the 534 mile round trip down to Stranraer in what was the first meeting between the two sides since 2019 with the Blue Toon keen to make amends for last week’s first league defeat of the season to Spartans.

The co-managers made three changes from last week’s contest with Spartans as Danny Strachan, Scott Ross and new signing Rory McAllister replaced Jordan Armstrong, Conor O’Keefe and Aaron Reid in the line-up, allowing the Blue Toon to change formation and play with a back 3.

After a tight opening to the game which saw Robert Ward create a half chance for himself, Stuart McKenzie was called into action with a fantastic save from Josh Walker, who found himself in behind the Peterhead defence following a long ball over the top. However, there was nothing that McKenzie could do about the opening goal from the hosts. A headed flick on from Kyle Girvan was met by Scott Robertson, who dribbled down the line before firing a left footed cross into Tam Orr, who volleyed past McKenzie.

It was 2-0 moments later as Peterhead were caught out following a loose pass. Cameron Williamson played a through ball over the top to Fleming and he toe poked the ball under McKenzie to double the hosts advantage. It could have been worse before half time if not for a big block from Danny Strachan and another fine stop from McKenzie, with both of these chances falling to Orr.

HALF TIME: Stranraer 2-0 Peterhead

A double change at the break saw Peterhead change into a more familiar 4-2-3-1 with Conor O’Keefe and Joe McKee replacing Caleb Goldie and Robert Ward. A clear change in mentality from the visitors was visible as they looked to dominate the ball and play more on the front foot, but they were caught flat footed as Orr drove through the middle of the pitch before dragging an effort wide of McKenzie’s goal. Another counter attack from the hosts saw James Dolan pick up the ball on the left hand side before powering a shot towards the near post which McKenzie was equal to. The visitors then began to test goalkeeper Martin McDonald with some long ranged efforts from Hamish Ritchie and Ross stinging his palms. The hosts then found themselves through on goal once again through Orr, however Danny Strachan made up a lot of ground to get himself back goal side and block the initial effort while McKenzie matched the follow up from Walker.

Peterhead made two more substitutions which saw Reid and Jordon Brown come onto the field, with the latter feeling rightly aggrieved to be shown a yellow card for simulation despite being clattered into by a Stranraer defender. Peterhead’s best chance of the game came to McAllister, who narrowly headed over McKee’s dangerous delivery. Another chance soon followed for Jason Brown but his header was narrowly wide of the target. Up the other end of the pitch, Stranraer had a fantastic chance to seal all three points through Oliver McDonald following a counter attack but he missed the target under pressure from Ritchie. Peterhead found the back of the net seven minutes into added time. Jason Brown pounced onto a loose pass from the Stranraer defence before firing an exceptional finish into the top corner to halve the deficit. With just seconds left on the clock, the ball then fell to Jason once again on the edge of the area but his attempt flashed wide of goal before the full time whistle blew.

FULL TIME: Stranraer 2-1 Peterhead Peterhead: McKenzie, Ross (Reid 65’), R. Strachan, Jason Brown, D. Strachan (Jordon Brown 70’), Jack Brown, McCarthy, Goldie (McKee 45’), Ritchie, Ward (O’Keefe 45’), McAllister