Aberdeen B 3 Peterhead 5

Aug 16, 2023

Peterhead took on Aberdeen Reserves in the SPFL Trust Trophy on Tuesday evening at North Lodge Park. Peterhead left the Pitmedden ground progressing into the next round of the cup with the draw taking place on Thursday at 1pm.

After a 15 minute delay, the match began with little chances for either team. Aberdeen B broke the deadlock after 17 minutes as a ball played through the Peterhead defence fell to the feet of Alfie Stewart who calmly slotted the ball past Oluyemi in the Peterhead goal. The first half continued with more chances being created by both sides; including a Joe McKee free kick which was well saved by the Aberdeen goalkeeper and at the other end, Oluyemi kept The Blue Toon in the match just before the break as he tipped the ball on to the crossbar to deny the Dons.

Half Time: Aberdeen B 1 – 0 Peterhead.

The second half kicked off with Peterhead responding almost immediately to equalise. Joe McKee again troubled the Dons defence with a set piece as his free kick was met by the head of Scott Ross. Ward came close to giving Peterhead the advantage when his effort hit the post after weaving his way through the Aberdeen B defence. At the other end of the pitch, Aberdeen took the lead through an Alfie Bavidge penalty after Blessing Oluyemi committed the foul inside the box. The first Peterhead substitute of the match saw Caleb Goldie replace goal scorer Scott Ross. As Peterhead searched for an answer, Jordon Brown saw a couple efforts off target before combining with Shanks to set up McCarthy who found the back of the net. With Joe McKee making his first appearance in 6 months and getting nearly 70 minutes under his belt, he was replaced by Hamish Ritchie. With just under 20 minutes to play, a miscommunication at the back between Goldie and Oluyemi resulted in a corner, which Marshall subsequently headed home. Conor O’Keefe replaced Robert Ward in Peterhead’s final substitution where he immediately proved effective, providing the assist for Jordon Brown who found the bottom corner. Jordon wasn’t satisfied with a leveller though, as a minute later The Blue Toon player manager found the top right corner after a well worked move to put Peterhead ahead for the first time in the match. With The Blue Toon leading 4-3, Shanks put the icing on the cake with a cool header for Peterhead’s 5th goal of the evening.

Full Time: Aberdeen B 3 – 5 Peterhead.

A convincing performance coupled with a handful of goals against a full time side was enough to send The Blue Toon through to the next round of the SPFL Trust Trophy which is due to be played on 9th/10th September.