Peterhead 0 Stenhousemuir 0

Aug 13, 2023

Peterhead were hosts to Stenhousemuir on Saturday as the Falkirk side made the trip North to Balmoor. The Blue Toon saw a change in goal as Blessing Oluyemi made his Cinch League 2 debut whilst Robert Ward and Scott Ross replaced the injured Conner Duthie and Danny Strachan in the starting XI.

Peterhead started the game well, enjoying the majority of possession and applying pressure to the Stenhousemuir defence. Controlling the match, The Blue Toon’s first real scoring opportunity came from Conor O’Keefe off the back of a counter attack. With O’Keefe’s attempt saved by the Stenhousemuir goalkeeper, Shanks picked up the loose ball in the penalty area. Getting a shot off on the half-turn, Shanks’ effort was cleared off the line; only falling to Jack Brown on the edge of the 18-yard box where his header narrowly went wide of the post. As half time loomed, both sides failed to convert their chances with Stenhousemuir having a couple of attempts off target along with Robert Ward having a curling effort fly past the post. With 10 minutes until the break, Hamish Ritchie excited the Balmoor crowd as his free kick from 20 yards out curled round the wall aiming for the top right corner but hit the wrong side of the woodwork.

Half Time: Peterhead 0 – 0 Stenhousemuir.

The match resumed with Stenhousemuir flipping the game on it’s head and bombarding The Blue Toon defence. Oluyemi and the rest of the squad did well to keep Stenhousemuir at bay and not concede after a series of corners in favour of the Warriors. After seeing off an attacking period from the visitors, Peterhead managed to grab the game and again were in control with their defence pinned back and struggling to hold on. Clearly panicking, Stenhousemuir’s Anderson picked up his second yellow card of the afternoon and with 9 minutes of regular time remaining, the visitors were down to 10 men. Jordan Armstrong then replaced Scott Ross; moving Caleb Goldie over to the right of the defence and the one-way traffic continued. With plenty possession and all outfield Peterhead players positioned in the attacking 3rd, The Blue Toon were unable to break the deadlock as Andy McCarthy fired an effort from outside the penalty area wide of the post. In the final minutes of the match with Peterhead still looking for a goal, Jordon Brown received a red card from the touchline after apparent cross words with the linesman.

Full Time: Peterhead 0 – 0 Stenhousemuir.

Stalemate at Balmoor means both sides share the points. After the 2nd round of fixtures, Peterhead remain on top of the Cinch League 2 standings; level on points with Bonnyrigg Rose and unbeaten. Congratulations to Blessing Oluyemi who kept a clean sheet in his League 2 debut.