Falkirk 4 Peterhead 1

Jul 30, 2023

Peterhead FC were visitors to Falkirk FC on Saturday in their last game of the Viaplay League Cup. Going into the match in 5th and final placed in their group, The Blue Toon trailed 4th place holders and opposition Falkirk by 4 points. With The Blue Toon’s result making no difference to their position in the table, Ryan Strachan and Andy McCarthy returned to the starting line up after serving their suspensions.

A dull afternoon in Falkirk got off to a dream start for Peterhead as they went 1-0 up after 5 minutes through a fine finish from Conor O’Keefe. From inside the 18-yard box, O’Keefe slotted the ball into the bottom right corner to finish off a brilliant counter attack. The match resumed and both teams had chances at either end of the pitch. Player manager Ryan Strachan made his imprint on the game at both ends; after using his body to deny Falkirk a goal from close range and trouble the hosts’ goalkeeper with a volley inside the penalty area following a Robert Ward free kick. From a similar set piece at the other end of the pitch, Falkirk defender Tom Lang rose highest to meet the ball as it passed Blessing Oluyemi in Peterhead’s goal. With Peterhead defending their goal well, the score was tied as half time approached until Falkirk’s Ross MacIver’s effort trickled over the goal line from close range after the Peterhead players failed to deal with a Falkirk cross from the right hand side.

Half Time: Falkirk 2 – 1 Peterhead.

The clouds parted as Falkirk got their fairytale start, extending their lead to two goals as winger Alfie Agyeman floated the ball over Oluyemi’s head after just a minute played. After some defensive work, Scott Ross limped off for David Wilson in the 50th minute after a collision with a Falkirk player in the penalty area. With Falkirk looking to add another goal to their tally, man-of-the-match Calvin Miller tapped the ball in from close range; with the ball falling to the feet of the defender at the back post after a finding space in the tight area. A triple substitution in the 60th minute saw Jason Brown, Hamish Ritchie and Jordan Armstrong replace Ryan Strachan, Jack Brown and Danny Strachan. Although Falkirk enjoyed more possession, Peterhead had chances of their own when Goldie’s strike inside the 18-yard box was blocked by a Falkirk defender. Peterhead looked to be back in the game with a brief attacking spell which ended with a direct free kick on the edge of the box; where defender Jason Brown saw his attempt obstructed by the Falkirk wall. In an attempt to revive Peterhead’s chances of getting anything out of the match, Kieran Shanks made way for Aaron Reid in The Blue Toon’s final substitution. Falkirk continued to apply pressure on Peterhead’s defence over the remainder of the match with The Blue Toon unable to capitalise when in possession. The match ended with a long ball over the top of the Peterhead defence and after a tussle with Goldie, saw Falkirk’s final effort of the match narrowly miss the back post.

Full Time: Falkirk 4 – 1 Peterhead.