Clyde 1 Peterhead 0

Feb 18, 2023

An afternoon full of enthusiasm, creativity, and prowess in the attacking third ended with no reward as Clyde netted a late winner to defeat Peterhead 1-0  with the Blue Toon running away frustrated with how the game faded out. The opening stages were played in an intense manner with both clubs acknowledging the magnitude of the game.

Some good play down the left almost opened the deadlock on four minutes for Peterhead, the catalyst with how vibrant this game was going to evolve with some good interchanges of play from the Blue Toon saw Daniel Fosu find Josh Oyinsan who saw an audacious effort bounce off the bar with Clyde exposed defensively, Kieran Shanks was waiting in isolation for the rebound but the Bully Wee cleared to safety.

Clyde were clever on the front foot and almost opened the scoring on eight minute as Ross Cunningham averted the ball goalwards with an instinct lob over Stuart McKenzie that found Kyle Doherty who saw his goal-bound header blocked superbly by Kevin Joshua as the former West Brom defender galloped to clear the danger.

A bright start by Fosu was merited five minutes later as he showed a bit of trickery to cut inside Jon Craig but a tame effort was straight into the hands of Neil Parry before at the other end, Martin Rennie cut inside and curled a chance towards goal that streamed wide of the left post.

As the half progressed, the visitors were continuing to push for an elusive opener and Joshua Oyinsan came agonisingly close to giving Peterhead the opener as he hit the bar midway through the half, Jason Brown sent a long, diagonal ball to the forward before he cut inside and kissed the bar with a well-hit effort as Neil Parry was beaten all ends up. Just a minute later, Jack Wilkie saw space for an effort at goal that went wide.

Fosu had an opportunity after lobbing Parry before having a shot cleared by Erik Sula as the Blue Toon showed a relentless approach in the latter stages of the first half but didn’t have any rewards on the goal front to show for their admirable efforts.

Half-Time – Clyde 0-0 Peterhead

The early exchanges of the second half was tepid in comparison to the first but a Jack Wilkie corner from the right found Jason Brown who headed into the path of Andy McCarthy who forced Parry to tip a volley round the post as the Blue Toon surged in a hunt to get the opener. Clyde had attempted to open the scoring prior in an entertaining clash but the efforts didn’t force Stuart McKenzie into too much trouble.

The congregation of Peterhead fans that made the journey to New Douglas Park thought Oyinsan took the lead on 74 minutes, Kieran Shanks did superbly well to break into the box and force Parry into a save before the ball came out to the former Dumbarton striker who fired over the bar.

Clyde took the lead with eight minutes remaining, Martin Rennie sent a looping ball into the box from the left finding Cameron Salkeld who guided a thumping header into the net past the stranded McKenzie, a credit to the Bully Wee for showing a level of resilience but massive disappointment for the Blue Toon.

Peterhead put a lot of creativity and impetus into the game but endured another frustrating afternoon in Lanarkshire as Clyde tried to add a second before the end with several blocks thwarting the hosts.

Teams: Clyde – Parry, Lyon, Craig, Sula, McGeever, Cuddihy, Roberts, Doherty (Scullion 88), Salkeld (McLean 88), Rennie (Cameron 90), Cunningham. Subs: Bradley-Hurst, McDonald, Thicot, Hynes

Peterhead: McKenzie, Jason Brown, Joshua, Bisland (Allan 85), Strachan, McCarthy, Wilkie, Shanks, Fosu, Oyinsan (Jack Brown 85), Ikwa (Jordon Brown 71)Subs: Wood, Maciver, Strachan, Gabriel, Melingui, McLeod.