Peterhead 1 Clyde 0

Jan 22, 2023

In what was billed as a “must win” tie between the two teams at the bottom of League 1, it was Peterhead that came out on top of Clyde 1-0 at Balmoor thanks to Kieran Shanks’ goal. The result handed Davie Robertson his first win as Blue Toon manager in what was a tense affair with Shanks producing a moment of magic to ensure all 3 points remained in the north-east.
Robertson made two changes to his side from last week’s contest at Dunfermline as Jack Brown and Jordon Brown replaced Andy McDonald and Glenn Gabriel. There was also a change of shape from a 3-4-3 to a 3-5-2, with Ryan Strachan dropping into the back three and Jack Brown playing behind a front two of Daniel Fosu and Kieran Shanks.
Despite starting the game playing into a typically strong wind, it was the hosts that looked to pile the pressure on early as Andy McCarthy had two early chances from outside the area: the first one wide of the target with the second effort forcing a save from Neil Parry.
Clyde grew into the game and had a couple of chances of their own. A 1-2 between Jordan Allan and Kyle Doherty saw the latter through on goal but with only Tom Ritchie to beat, his tame effort was easily dealt with by the Peterhead shot-stopper. Ritchie was called into action moments later as once again Allan ran clear as he latched onto a short back pass but Ritchie made himself big and cut out the threat.
Considering the conditions that Peterhead were playing into manager Robertson would have been delighted to enter the break on level terms. It could have been even better for the hosts on the brink of half time as Fosu found himself on the end of a loose ball after a corner had been swung in, but Parry in the Clyde goal made an outstanding save from the striker to keep the match goalless.
Peterhead came flying out of the traps at the start of the second half and the constant pressing put into the visitors’ defence forced a string of corners. Jack Wilkie played a ball into the area, which was kept alive by Strachan and found its way to McCarthy. He made some space before playing the ball into Shanks, who took a touch away from goal and produced a delightful back-heel into the net, the first goal of the Robertson era. The joyous scenes between both the players and the fans was a joy to behold and the tension looming over the game was lifted.
Fosu was an absolute handful for the Clyde defenders all afternoon and he had two big chances to double the Peterhead advantage. The first came after McCarthy twisted and turned Allan in knots in the middle of the park before playing a ball over the top for Fosu to run onto. The front man then burst past Erik Sula into the area before firing a powerful effort which went narrowly over the bar. Less than a minute later Fosu found himself on the end of a phenomenal cross from Jack Brown, but his header fizzed narrowly past Parry’s near post. Another Wilkie delivery into the box caused all sorts of havoc for the visitors with both Barry Cuddihy and Allan getting their bodies on the line to prevent the hosts from doubling their advantage.
A double change from Clyde soon ensued and the two players to come on, Jon Craig and Martin Rennie, both impacted the game immediately with the latter’s cross into the area being palmed away by Ritchie before Rennie’s effort from a tight angle was claimed by the Peterhead keeper. Ritchie was busy once again with Cuddihy’s effort from distance deflecting off Strachan and looping toward goal, however the stopper readjusted himself and gathered the ball under pressure from Rennie.
A professional performance from the Blue Toon then limited any chances of Clyde getting back into the game and ensured that Peterhead lifted themselves off the bottom of the league table for the first time since August.
Full Time: Peterhead 1-0 Clyde
Peterhead: Ritchie, Jason Brown, R. Strachan, Joshua, Bisland, Jordon Brown, McCarthy, Wilkie, Jack Brown, Shanks (McLeod 85’), Fosu
Unused substitutes: Wood, McDonald, D. Strachan, Wilson, McLeod, Walusimbi, Melingui, Gabriel