Queen of the South 2 Peterhead 0

Oct 16, 2022

A goal in each half from Queen of the South secured a 2-0 win over a visiting Peterhead side that was finally able to hand a debut to Enock Walusimbi. Ugandan internationalist Walusimbi’s clearance was received a few hours before kick-off and he took the place of Ryan Strachan who was a late withdrawal due to injury and was one of three changes made by manager Jim McInally to his starting line-up. The other changes saw Jack Wilkie and Jack Brown return after injury to replace Danny Strachan and Andy McDonald who dropped out through a knock.
Blue Toon goalkeeper Tom Ritchie was involved early as he showed his prowess as he turned a shot from Ruari Paton past for a corner that was dealt with by the visiting defence. Gavin Reilly had the next opportunity for the hosts when he fired for goal on nine minutes however Ritchie was able to watch this one clear his goal. A minute later what could have been a key moment in the game went unpunished as Conor O’Keefe looked to be fouled in the box however referee Gavin Duncan opted not to point to the spot with many in the visiting camp aggrieved by that decision. Walusimbi had started off in a midfield role in a bid to combat the strength of the home side in that area however with the hosts adopting Iain Wilson in a deeper role manager McInally moved Walusimbi into the centre of his defence. The move looked to have brought a rigidity to the team however the Achilles heel of losing goals from corners was apparent on 21 minutes when Euan East was able to find space to nod in Calvin McGrory’s set-piece. The visitors looked to hit back quickly and Julien Carre tried his luck from long distance with his shot just whistling past Max Currie’s goal. Peterhead forced three further chances to get level before the half-time whistle however unfortunately Ryan Dow and Jack Brown’s efforts were just off target and Wilkie was unable to turn a loose ball home.
Ritchie was involved early in this half as well as he denied Reilly and then Paton and with the weather changing from sunshine to howling wind and lashing rain it gave the Blue Toon an additional hurdle to overcome as they looked to attack. Twenty minutes into the second half the Doonhamers grabbed their second goal when a lightning raid that started in their own half gave Reilly the platform to slip in Josh Todd who sent a shot flashing past Ritchie at his near post. Peterhead worked their way up the pitch two minutes later and it looked like their endeavours would be rewarded with a goal when Jack Brown rose to meet a cross however his header was only inches out. Ramez Hefzalla was brought in for O’Keefe shortly afterwards in a bid to get the better of the home defence and Walusimbi, who had just shown strength in his own box as he stood up to Reilly as he looked to fire home, was replaced by Danny Strachan. Jason Brown looked to have pulled a goal back with five minutes to go when he flicked past Currie however Harry Cochrane popped up on the line to clear. As the visitors continued to press Carre brought out a fine stop from the home shot-stopper with a fierce shot. David Wilson showed his alertness in injury time as he ensured an effort from Queen’s substitute Lewis Gibson cleared Ritchie’s bar. The final whistle sounded shortly afterwards and whilst Peterhead returned north pointless, the availability of Walusimbi as well as the sight of a well-stocked bench and the news that Andrew McCarthy will return to full training this week ensured that no heads were down.
Ritchie, Gillies, Jason Brown, Jack Brown, Carre, Hewitt, Wilkie, Walusimbi (Strachan 77′), Wilson, Dow, O’Keefe (Hefzalla 67′) Unused substitutes – Asare, Jordon Brown, McLeod, Murray, Kisuka, Wood (G/k)
Manager Jim McInally – post match – https://youtu.be/lVR-BNwq59I