Peterhead 0-4 Falkirk

Oct 9, 2022

Peterhead had a painful day as they went down 4-0 to visitors Falkirk with Andy McDonald taking to hospital afterwards with the defender expected to join an already lengthy injury list with a stress shin fracture.

For the Blue Toon’s third game in eight days new recruit Julien Carre came in to make his debut and David Wilson was pressed into action after a calf problem with Conor O’Keefe also back after illness. Jack Brown missed out with a hamstring issue with Robbie Scullion and Jordon Brown moving to the substitute’s bench against John McGlynn’s Bairns who were looking for the win that could take them into the top four.

The visitors started quickly and the speedy Rumarn Burrell broke down the right wing after four minutes and picked out Callumn Morrison with Tom Ritchie ending the danger when he scooped up the attacker’s effort. Four minutes later Falkirk created another chance when Aidan Nesbitt crossed for skipper Stephen McGinn who sent a header against the post with Burrell unable to convert the rebound.

Midway through the first half a long ball from visiting defender Liam Henderson released Burrell behind the home defence with Ritchie keeping his goal intact by blocking the striker’s shot with his legs. Falkirk continued to be on top and Gary Oliver thought he had provided the opening goal on 32 minutes when he headed past Ritchie however Wilson popped up on the line to clear.

Peterhead began to settle and started to take the game to their opponents with Max Gillies forcing a corner on 40 minutes when Nicky Hogarth tipped his dangerous looking cross over for a corner.The hosts were inches away from taking the lead from the dead ball however a goal came at the other end just seconds later.

Dow took the corner and picked out Jason Brown and his header flashed past Hogarth however Oliver scrambled the ball away from his goal. Hogarth launched the ball forward and Burrell was onto it in a flash and he picked out Nesbitt who teed up Morrison to tap home. Peterhead trooped off at the break behind with Falkirk’s tails up after their counter-attack goal.

Three minutes into the restart a Morrison cross from the left slipped past Ryan Strachan and reached Burrell however he fired over. The Blue Toon were sticking at things and forced a couple of corners on 52 minutes however they were unable to trouble Hogarth. In a bid to pep up their attack Jordon Brown and Ramez Hefzalla were introduced for the injured McDonald and O’Keefe.

On 56 minutes Hogarth was called into action to deal with a Jason Brown shot from 20 yards with the Bairns shot-stopper equal to the challenge. Kai Kennedy and Juan Alegria were brought on by Falkirk on 63 minutes and four minutes later the duo combined to net a second goal. Kennedy was the architect with a cross from the left with Alegria rising to nod home at the back post. Three minutes later the luck Peterhead have experienced this season was summed up as Nesbitt slipped a pass to Kennedy who sent a shot against the bar with his ball hitting Ritchie on the back and rebounding into his net.

Michael Hewitt carved out a chance for the hosts with 12 minutes left however his effort slipped wide of Hogarth’s goal.On 84 minutes another Falkirk substitute Sean Mackie burst clear with Ritchie doing well to turn his shot over. From the resultant corner Henderson sent a header sneaking into the far corner to complete the scoring for the visitors. The drama was not over as Alegria picked up a yellow card for not retreating at a free-kick and then picked up a second yellow and a red for simulation in the Peterhead box.

Manager Jim McInally interview after match – JMPMFALKIRK81022 – YouTube