FC Edinburgh 2 Peterhead 0

Oct 6, 2022

FC Edinburgh      2     Peterhead   0

Two late goals hit Peterhead hard as the Blue Toon went down 2-0 to a host FC Edinburgh side who have moved to the top of League 1.

Manager Jim McInally made two changes to his starting XI from the one that drew 2-2 at Dunfermline at the weekend with Danny Strachan replacing the injured Paul Dixon and Jordon Brown swapping a starting jersey with Ramez Hefzalla who moved to the bench. Ryan Strachan skippered the side and both he and his fellow defenders had to stand strong as FC Edinburgh looked to make an early breakthrough.

After just four minutes Kieran MacDonald fired over a very dangerous cross for Ouzy See with Peterhead breathing a sigh of relief as the striker fired wide.

Four minutes later Tom Ritchie made his first stop of the evening as he denied Ryan Shanley after he was set free by a pass from Danny Handling. On 13 minutes Ritchie denied Shanley again with the visitors threatening for the first time 60 seconds later with a shot from Jason Brown that rose and cleared the bar.

Midway through the half Andy McDonald had a shot at the FC Edinburgh goal blocked with Allan Delferriere firing wide at the other end shortly afterwards. Jack Brown popped up in dangerous positions twice before the half hour mark with the midfielder firing just off-target and then seeing a header saved by Robbie Mutch. FC Edinburgh finished the first half strongly with Shanley forcing another stop out of Ritchie and Innes Murray being crowded out before Delferriere was denied with Shanley slipping an injury time shot past the left-hand post.

At the start of the second half Ritchie made another smart stop from Shanley with the Blue Toon then going on to have their best spell in the game. A goal almost came for Ryan Dow during this period as he darted clear however Liam Fontaine was able to race back and block Dow’s parting shot from eight yards out. The hosts worked their way back into things and substitute John Robertson teed up Delferriere with 16 minutes left however again Ritchie was well placed to save.

Peterhead gave a reminder of their threat two minutes later when Jordon Brown fired for goal from the edge of the box however his effort rose and cleared Mutch’s bar. Ritchie kept out Robertson’s long-distance effort shortly afterwards however the shot-stopper was finally beaten with seven minutes left when Handling picked out Murray who fired into a corner.

Balmoor boss McInally replaced Jordon Brown with Hefzalla in a bid to grab an equaliser however before the Egyptian under-20 star could make an impact Handling nodded home a corner from James Craigen to secure the points.

Peterhead – Tom Ritchie, Gillies, McDonald, Jason Brown, R Strachan, D Strachan, Jack Brown, Scullion, Jordon Brown (Hefzalla 85‎), Hewitt, DowUnused Substitutes – Asare, McLeod, Wood (G/k)

Jim’s post match comments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZdb4Fqtupg