Peterhead 0 Elgin City 4

Sep 25, 2022

Peterhead exited the SPFL Trust Trophy in a tame fashion after going down 4-0 to Elgin City at Balmoor.
The Borough Briggs side took the lead early through Russell Dingwall and they then had goalkeeper Daniel Hoban to thank for a strong display that denied the Blue Toon an equaliser before Kane Hester grabbed a second ahead of the break. Manager Jim McInally, who had 11 players unavailable due to injuries, being cup-tied, registration issues and international call-ups, shuffled his Peterhead pack at half-time, and again during the second 45 minutes, however further goals from Dylan Lawrence and Angus Mailer saw Elgin progress.
With Tom Ritchie ruled out after playing for Aberdeen’s B side earlier in the season goalkeeper Sandy Wood started his second game for the club. Max Gillies returned from a head-knock and Prince Annor Asare was also given a start with Ryan Dow and Chris Kisuka dropping out of the starting line-up that had seen off Kelty Hearts last weekend. After five minutes Mailer had the first glimpse of goal in the game however he was crowded out and his shot was blocked with Peterhead venturing forward in the next minute to win a corner that was cleared with no danger threatening. The visitors opened the scoring on nine minutes when Dingwall was given too much space in the box and curled the ball high into Wood’s goal. Cameron was denied as he quickly looked to grab a second with Peterhead then going on to have their best spell of the game although a leveller could not be found. Paul Dixon and Ryan Strachan both had half-chances before former Elgin player Conor O’Keefe, who scored an excellent double against Kelty, smacked an effort against the crossbar on 18 minutes with Hoban making a smart stop to deny Dixon from the rebound. Five minutes later an effort from Jack Wilkie was deflected onto the frame of the goal and from the resultant corner Hoban denied Peterhead again when he kept out a close-range Jason Brown header. Elgin’s confidence increased as a result of their goalkeeper’s heroics and on 35 minutes Peterhead’s confidence took a knock when Hester grabbed a second for the visitors as he ran clear and clipped the ball out of Wood’s reach. In a bid to get back into the tie Dixon and Asare were replaced at the break by Kisuka and Jordon Brown but it was Elgin who started the second half on the front foot. Hester was denied by Wood and Darryl McHardy headed wide before the home shot-stopper prevented a third goal when he saved from Hester after the striker had been released by a fine pass from Brian Cameron. Robbie Scullion was brought on for McDonald shortly afterwards but midway through the second half Dylan Lawrence netted with a header from inside the six-yard box to make it 3-0. Further substitutions were made with Gillies and Wilkie withdrawn for Danny Strachan and Cody McLeod before O’Keefe had a chance to pull a goal back only to see his shot drift wide. To round off a disappointing day for Peterhead Angus Mailer drilled home a Tom Findlay pass with five minutes left.
Peterhead – Wood, Wilson, Jason Brown, McDonald (Scullion 63), Wilkie (McLeod 72), Gillies (D Strachan 71), R Strachan, Asare (Kisuka 46), Dixon (Jordon Brown 46), Jack Brown, O’Keefe