Peterhead 0 Montrose 2

Sep 5, 2022

Peterhead 0 Montrose 2
Peterhead were unable to break down a resilient Montrose side who left Balmoor with the three points after a 2-0 success despite being reduced to ten men.
Blue Toon manager Jim McInally made four changes from the previous weekend’s game against Alloa with new loan signing from Aberdeen, Tom Ritchie, taking over between the sticks after Jack Newman had been recalled by Dundee United. Prince Annor Asare was handed his first start with Ryan Dow and Conor O’Keefe returning to the starting line-up at the expense of Robbie McGale, Danny Strachan and Jordon Brown. Montrose’s Craig Brown had the first chance of the game after six minutes however the grandson of former Scotland manager, Craig Brown, pulled his shot wide of debutant Ritchie’s goal. Within a minute Peterhead carved out an opening for O’Keefe with Ross Sinclair in the visiting goal making a smart stop. O’Keefe had the next chance as well however his header on 13 minutes failed to trouble Sinclair as it flashed wide. Former Peterhead striker Rory McAllister fired wide of the home goal two minutes later with Asare picking up a yellow card shortly afterwards. Blue Toon captain Paul Dixon ventured forward on 25 minutes and fired a shot towards Sinclair’s goal only to see his effort blocked before it could threaten the shot-stopper. Five minutes later Asare committed another foul and whilst he did not suffer any further punishment manager McInally recognised that he was on his last chance and brought on Ramez Hefzalla to make his debut in place of the midfielder. Dixon sent a shot from a free-kick wide before former Millwall player Hefzalla showed his potential with some dazzling footwork however he was robbed off a quick-fire debut goal by a block. Jack Wilkie nodded wide of the Montrose goal before the deadlock was broken by the visitors on 38 minutes when Brown picked out Matthew Wright who headed past Ritchie from close range. McAllister was booked for a challenge on Jason Brown on 42 minutes with Peterhead looking to hit back a minute later and only a save from Sinclair denied Dow from the edge of the box. Montrose were reduced to ten men just before the half-time whistle after McAllister and Brown tangled again and the striker picked up his second yellow card of the afternoon. Visiting manager Stewart Petrie made a switch at half-time with Adam Mackinnon replacing Mark Whatley and Michael Gardnye gave Peterhead a reminder they would not get things their own way early into the restart when he fired an opening wide. Peterhead then took over territorially and the best chance of their afternoon was created for Jack Brown just before the hour mark however his header from 10 yards rose and cleared the bar. Montrose then broke from the back and Kerr Waddell tested Ritchie however the young Don was equal to the challenge. On 73 minutes Peterhead thought they had found a leveller when Jason Brown found the net but their joy was short-lived as the goal was ruled out for offside and to rub salt into that would Montrose doubled their advantage within a minute. Dixon was judged to have fouled Brad Lyons in the box and Lewis Milne rolled home the resultant spot-kick to make it 2-0. That goal gave Montrose an extra impetus whilst at the same time knocking some of the wind out of home sails with The Gable Endies creating the only other chance that came before the final whistle with Mckinnon heading wide.

Peterhead – Ritchie, Jason Brown, R Strachan, Wilkie, Gillies, Asare (Hefzalla 33), Jack Brown, Dixon (Jordon Brown 77), Dow, Kisuka, O’Keefe (Scullion 77) Unused substitutes – D Strachan, Wilson, McGale, McLeod, Wood (G/k)

Manager post-match interview –
Ramez Hefzalla post-match interview –
Some exciting news that was announced after the game –