Clyde 2 Peterhead 2

Aug 7, 2022

Peterhead scored their first goals of the season as they came from two down at Clyde’s new home of Hamilton Accies’ New Douglas Park to draw 2-2 and also pick up their first league point of the season. Jack Newman prevented the Bully Wee from retaking the lead in the second half however with the Bully Wee playing for 28 minutes with ten men a chance to secure the first win was not taken.
It was Peterhead’s first ever game at the Lanarkshire ground and Ryan Strachan was selected from the start for the first time following his summer move from Cove Rangers and he helped form a three-man central defence alongside David Wilson and Paul Dixon.
Robbie Scullion was handed a second opportunity to impress as a trialist from kick-off in midfield with goalkeeper Sandy Wood returning to the substitute’s bench with Jordon Brown listed as a replacement.
Newton had to have his wits about him from the kick-off as he raced from goal and ensured the ball ran to safety after Kurtis Roberts had darted through the visiting defence.
Ryan Strachan showed his desire to be involved after just two minutes when he pushed two team-mates aside to win a header and clear.
Peterhead’s first chance came a minute later when Scullion had a drive from the edge of the box that was pushed away by Neil Parry with Paul Kennedy clearing the loose ball. With 10 minutes gone Ola Adeyemo charged at the home defence and worked his way through a couple of challenges however his powerful shot was blocked.
Clyde opened the scoring on 14 minutes when Kennedy exchanged passes at the edge of the Peterhead box before sending over a cross that Ross Cunningham rose to head home.
It was 2-0 five minutes later when Cunningham ran onto a defence splitting Allan pass and skipped past Newman before cracking home from an acute angle.
A long ball from Max Gillies almost brought Peterhead back into the game as it dropped over Clyde’s defence however Adeyemo’s touch allowed the ball run to Parry.
The big striker got everything right on 27 minutes when the ball was played in from the left by Scullion and Adeyemo turned sharply and sent a thumping low shot under Parry.
Two minutes later parity was restored when Gillies charged forward and cracked a shot towards Parry’s goal. His effort did not look set to trouble the Clyde shot-stopper however it fell into the path of Connor O’Keefe who took a touch before slipping an effort into the far corner.
Cunningham missed a good chance to put Clyde back in front six minutes from the break when he side-footed a Kennedy chip past from close range. As the hosts put on pressure before the break a timely interception from Gillies cleared a cross from under Newman’s bar.
Clyde replaced Kennedy with Andy Rodden at the break and the hosts were threatening early into the restart until David Wilson stepped in to clear at the expense of a corner.
Peterhead had their first attack of the second half on 48 minutes when Jack Brown worked his way clear 16 yards out with Parry moving to his left to push away his shot.
Newman saved Ryan Strachan’s blushes on 52 minutes by using his legs to keep out a penalty from Cunningham after the defender looked to have risen a hand and touched the ball away at a corner.
Peterhead looked to make the most of that reprieve and just before the hour mark Gillies had a shot deflected into the side-netting after a quick one-two with Ryan Dow.
On 62 minutes the hosts were reduced to ten men with Blue Toon boss Jim McInally making a substitution shortly afterwards with Wilson coming off for Robbie McGale in a bid to add more attacking threat.
It almost worked as skipper Paul Dixon rose unchallenged to meet a corner in the Clyde box however Parry dropped down to save.
With 15 minutes to go Newman halted cries of ‘goal’ from the home fans as he leapt to his right to keep out a header from Peter Grant that looked set to find the net with Parry doing likewise with a Danny Strachan shot three minutes later.
Jordon Brown was brought on eight minutes from the end and his first involvement forced Parry to race from his line and stretch for a cross. Both sides cancelled each other in the closing stages as they accepted a point apiece.

Jim McInally Post-Match

Jack Newman Post-Match