Peterhead 0-2 Dumbarton

Jul 17, 2022

It was a Gray day for Peterhead as they went down 2-0 at home to Dumbarton in the Premier Sports Cup with the Balmoor side playing for just over one half of the game with ten men after skipper Paul Dixon was dismissed. Manager Jim McInally made two changes from midweek with on-loan Dundee United goalkeeper Jack Newman returning between the sticks in place of Sandy Wood with Robbie McGale handed his first start as Cody McLeod dropped to the bench. The Sons gave debuts to goalkeeper Harry Broun with former Peterhead shot-stopper Brett Long listed as a substitute.

An early Andrew McDonald cross looked to have created a chance for the hosts however the ball dropped onto the top of Broun’s net. Ryan Dow was playing in a central midfield role and he was involved frequently in the first five minutes as was McGale who tried to unlock the visiting defence with a couple of first time passes. Dumbarton forced a corner on seven minutes when Ally Love got the break of the ball from Dixon however Aron Lynas headed the set-piece over. Six minutes later McGale forced Broun to leap from his goal and push away his dangerous right-wing cross. Midway through the half Dumbarton snatched the lead after a lightning break with Joe McKee threading a pass to Finlay Gray who drew Newman from his line before deftly chipping over the goalkeeper.

It was nearly 2-0 within a minute as Gray raced through again however this time his low shot struck Newman’s legs and rebounded to safety. On 29 minutes Jordon Brown slid in to score after McGale had flicked on a McDonald cross however the assistant’s flag was raised for offside and the goal was chalked off. Nine minutes from the break McDonald whipped in a 30 yard free-kick after Dow had been brought down and Jordon Brown fizzed the floating ball across the Dumbarton goal where both Wilson and Ola Adeyemo just failed to turn it over the line. A minute later Newman made a fine stop as he stretched high to turn over a Joe McKee free-kick.

Right on half time Gray broke through the home ranks again and this time he was brought down by Dixon nearly 30 yards out and referee Cook brandished a red card at the Peterhead skipper despite Wilson looking set to mop up the danger. McKee tried his luck again with the dead ball however this time he fired high over.

Peterhead shuffled the pack for the restart with McDonald moving to centre back and Danny Strachan moving from right back to left with McGale dropping into the right back role to leave the midfield a man down. A fine crossfield pass from McDonald and a surging run from McGale forced a corner for the ten men four minutes into the restart with McDonald warming Broun’s hands on 54 minutes with a stinging drive from 25 yards. With 69 minutes played Dumbarton substitute Ryan Wallace looked to mark his introduction with a goal as he turned and thumped a shot goalward however Wilson was able to get a block in and the ball spun out for a corner.

A second goal for the visitors two minutes later in fairly simple fashion as Gregg Wylde curled over a free-kick from the left and Gregor Buchanan rose and sent a powerful header flashing into the net. McDonald released McGale with another long pass on 80 minutes and the summer recruit from Stirling University did well to beat Wylde however his cross was too straight at Broun. Peterhead tried again to get a goal back in the closing stages and Wilson was inches away from connecting with a Conor O’Keefe cross following a foul on Adeyemo.

Peterhead –Newman, Strachan, Wilson, Dixon, McDonald, Jack Brown, McGale, Jordon Brown (McLeod 77), Dow, O’Keefe, Adeyemo.

Unused substitutes – Wood (G/k)