Peterhead 0 Alloa Athletic 1 Blue Toon Browned off by loss

Feb 6, 2022

The four Browns in the Peterhead squad, as well as the rest of the players and management, were left disappointed as the Blue Toon failed to take their chances in a 1-0 defeat from Alloa at Balmoor.

Jim McInally’s side created openings frequently against the Wasps however dangerous crosses went unconverted, David Hutton saved well in the away side’s goal and the ball flashed wide as an early goal from Euan Henderson took the points back to Clackmannanshire.  

New home recruit Jack Brown was given a starting slot in place of the injured Grant Savoury, Jason Brown also started with his brother Jordon Brown on the bench alongside skipper Scott Brown who was deemed fit enough for a substitute’s role.

January signing Rico Quitongo starting in place of the injured Simon Ferry in the other change to the line-up from last weekend’s goalless draw at East Fife.

After a stuffy start by both sides Ryan Duncan showed the danger he possesses on 10 minutes with a swinging cross from the right however there were no takers in blue shirts.

Four minutes later Alloa grabbed the lead when Mouhamed Niang won the ball on the half-way line and Stefan Scougall picked it up and drove deep into the Peterhead half where he slipped a pass to Henderson.

The on-loan Hearts attacker took a touch before slipping past the advancing Brett Long.

On 25 minutes Peterhead were presented with a good opportunity to level when Niah Payne’s persistence forced Fernandy Mendy into a mistake with his clearance hitting the Peterhead man and dropping to Russell McLean.

The striker raced goalward however Hutton used his legs to push McLean’s shot past.

Henderson forced Long into a save from a free-kick on 26 minutes however Peterhead soon took over again and it looked like Andy McCarthy had equalised with a low 22-yard drive however Hutton finger-tipped the ball past.

On 39 minutes Alloa defender Andy Graham flattened McLean with a high challenge in the Wasps’ box however referee Chris Fordyce ignored appeals a for a penalty and the Blue Toon trooped off at the break behind.

McInally’s men came out determined to restore parity and Duncan swivelled on the spot on 48 minutes and fired for goal only for his shot to be deflected wide.

Sixty seconds later the on-loan Aberdeen man curled over another cross that was begging to be put into goal however McLean was an inch away from turning it in.

On 52 minutes striker McLean did get on the end of a left-wing cross from Quitongo and his deft touch looked to be finding the net however at the last second it slipped past the post.

Flynn Duffy was next to fire at the Alloa goal when he picked up on good work from Duncan and Payne however the ball cleared Hutton’s bar.

Long had to make a double save from Henderson and Connor Sammon as Alloa made a rare attack just after the hour mark.

Peterhead resumed their attack two minutes later with McCarthy going close with a right footed long-distance effort before Niang raced to the other end and fired past Long’s goal.

The hosts continued to press and it looked like the equaliser they deserved had arrived in injury time when substitutes Derek Lyle and Jordon Brown combined at the edge of the box. Lyle teed up Brown for a shot that looked in all the way until Hutton stuck up a hand to turn it over.

Peterhead – Long, Wilson (Cairns 48), Jason Brown, McDonald, Quitongo, McCarthy, Jack Brown (Scott Brown), Duffy (Conroy 67), Duncan, McLean (Lyle 77), Payne (Jordon Brown 77)

Unused substitutes – Cook, Savoury, Cullen (G/k)