Peterhead leave Broadwood frustrated after home comeback

Dec 5, 2021

Clyde                  2

Peterhead          2

Peterhead roared into a two-goal lead at Clyde however they had to settle for a point in a 2-2 draw after David Goodwillie netted either side of half-time.

Russell McLean and Grant Savoury scored fine goals to have their side in charge however the Blue Toon, who restored Josh Mulligan to their starting line-up in place of Niah Payne, left Cumbernauld frustrated that late pressure could not force a winner.

Jim McInally’s side started brightly and an early foul on Savoury gave Andy McDonald the chance to cross in a ball however there were no takers.

Ally Love sent in a low drive from 20 yards on seven minutes which Brett Long had to stretch to push around for a corner with the visitors’ first chance coming four minutes later.

Home goalkeeper Neil Parry could only parry a corner to the edge of the box where Andy McCarthy replied with a shot that was only inches out.

Clyde had a good chance when Scott Brown was penalised for a foul on Morgaro Gomis 19 yards from goal however Love sent the ball over.

The game was held up for a few minutes when the hosts’ Ross Cunningham fell awkwardly in a challenge with McCarthy and had to be stretchered off with Euan Deveney coming on in his place.

The opener came on 20 minutes after McCarthy and McLean caused panic in the Bully Wee defence who could only clear to Scott Brown and the Peterhead skipper picked out McLean who crashed the ball into the net via the bar from six yards.

Home striker Robert Jones was booked for simulation after he tried to win a penalty a minute later with Peterhead doubling their lead five minutes later.

McLean raced away from his marker on the left wing and the towering forward picked out Savoury with a rolled pass and the former Celtic midfielder side-footed home his first goal in senior football.

With confidence flowing in the blue shirted visitors a surging run and cross from Mulligan created a chance for McLean however his effort was deflected past

Savoury then fired over the bar after some great build up play which included a couple of one-twos however Peterhead were given a reminder that Clyde were still in the game on the 45-minute mark when Jones met a free-kick and only a fine stop from Long prevented his header crossing the line.

Deep into injury time Peterhead gave away possession and that allowed Goodwillie to be played through on goal where he was met by the out-rushing Long.

Referee Stuart decided that the former Scotland striker was fouled by the shot-stopper as they came together with Goodwillie rolling in the resultant penalty.

That goal brought Clyde alive and seven minutes into the restart a lightning break saw Goodwillie level the score when he darted past Flynn Duffy on the right and curled a shot into the far corner.

The game almost turned around totally on the hour mark when Goodwillie let fly from 20 yards and Long had to dive low to push the ball out for a corner.

Peterhead settled after that scare and McCarthy and Scott Brown had shots blocked before McLean was inches out from a wonder goal after he worked his way past two defenders and cracked in a shot from 20 yards only to see it crash against the bar.

Mulligan’s strong attacking runs created two late chances to win the three points for the visitors however he lofted his first shot wide and then drilled his second across the face of the Clyde goal and out of play.

Peterhead – Long, Wilson, Jason Brown, McDonald, Mulligan, Ritchie (Payne 61), McCarthy, S Brown, Duffy, McLean, Savoury

Unused substitutes – Wilson (G/k), Lyle, Jordon Brown, Cameron, Strachan, Duncan