A second blank afternoon at Balmoor

Oct 31, 2021

Peterhead          0

Montrose           0

Peterhead’s goalless draw with Falkirk last weekend was their first in almost two years however they only had to wait seven days for a blank score-line again with neither the Blue Toon nor visitors Montrose finding the net at Balmoor.

Goalkeeper Brett Long who helped secure a point seven days ago with a fine display again excelled against the Gable Endies however manager Jim McInally’s side created far more opportunities in this outing.

The visiting side finished with ten men after Sean Dillon was dismissed late on for what looked like a soft offence however Montrose may well consider themselves fortunate that they reached the break with a full complement after a crude challenge on Jason Brown by Terry Masson.

Simon Ferry and Niah Payne both missed out due to injuries picked up against the Bairns with Andy McDonald and Derek Lyle coming in to replace them with McInally listing the returning Ryan Conroy on a substitute bench that was only five players strong.

A minute’s silence for Walter Smith was held before Lyle kicked off with Peterhead creating danger early when Russell McLean looked to pick out Scott Brown with a cut-back however the ball was intercepted.

McLean had a glimpse of goal on 14 minutes however opposing goalkeeper Aaron Lennox moved sharply to end home hopes of an opening goal.

Masson threatened for Montrose midway through the half with a stinging drive from distance however the ball flashed wide of Long’s goal with Masson denied shortly afterwards by Long who got down well to tip his glancing header wide.

The next involvement of the Montrose midfielder was not so positive as he produced a thumping challenge on Jason Brown that many at the game believed would produce a red card however referee Alan Muir decided that a yellow would suffice.

Peterhead forced a corner before the break however it was fruitless and the first 45 minutes ended without a goal.

McLean had the first opening after the restart when he got in behind the Montrose defence however his scuffed effort went wide of Lennox’s goal.

Long saved a Chris Antoniazzi 20 yarder before Andrew McCarthy drove the hosts forward on 54 minutes and picked out Lyle with the striker failing to find the net with his attempt on goal.

Ten minutes later Antoniazzi fired for goal again and this time it looked like he would get the better of Long but the Balmoor shot-stopper excelled again by producing an excellent stop.

It was Peterhead’s turn to go close next and they came within a couple of inches of scoring when Flynn Duffy’s free-kick was met by the head of Hamish Ritchie with the bar coming to Montrose’s rescue.

With 20 minutes left a punt from Long was flicked on by McLean for Grant Savoury however the substitute failed to trouble Lennox with his effort on goal.

Montrose were reduced with 15 minutes to go when Sean Dillon was shown a red card after an off the ball incident with McLean with the Peterhead striker appearing to be as surprised as anyone at the decision.

The hosts looked to make their extra man advantage count quickly with Josh Mulligan careering forward before shooting off target.

Matty Allan had a headed chance for the visitors before it looked like McLean had grabbed a late goal only for an offside flag to ruin the celebrations.

In injury time Savoury had an opening but he was denied by Lennox with both sides having to settle for a point apiece.

Peterhead – Long, Wilson, Jason Brown, McDonald, Mulligan, Ritchie, Scott Brown, McCarthy, Duffy (Conroy 84), McLean, Lyle (Savoury 62)

Unused substitutes – Strachan, Cameron, Wilson (G/k)

Manager Jim McInally – JMPMMONTROSE301021 – YouTube

Skipper Scott Brown – https://youtu.be/A3bZ_FM1NmE