East Fife 1 Peterhead 3

Apr 29, 2021

Peterhead got the job done in terms of securing their place in League 1 next season with the minimum of fuss and two games to spare when they came from behind to win 3-1 at East Fife.

The Blue Toon fell behind to an Aaron Dunsmore goal however Derek Lyle showed he has lost none of his goal-scoring ability by levelling with first goals for the club for Andrew McDonald and Danny Strachan saw the three points head north.

Lenny Wilson kept his place in goal however manager Jim McInally reshuffled his outfield line-up with McDonald starting in defence in place of the suspended Jason Brown with Brown’s sibling, Jordon, replacing Simon Ferry in midfield.

There were also starts form Ben Armour and Derek Lyle with Derryn Kesson given the opportunity to show what he can do straight from kick-off with Hamish Ritchie, Steven Boyd and Niah Payne making way.

The Fifers had a chance after 6 minutes when Aaron Dunsmore and Danny Swanson set up Greig Spence however he fired over and an offside flag would have come to Peterhead’s rescue had Spence found the net.

Six minutes later the hosts created another opening however Ross Davidson was off target with Peterhead’s first chance coming with quarter of an hour gone when Scott Brown fed Kesson with the youngster firing wide.

The opening goal came on 17 minutes and came for the hosts with Dunsmore picking up on a mistake in the visiting defence and slotting in from a tight angle.

Peterhead looked to hit back quickly and Jordon Brown was not far away with a header from a Danny Strachan cross on 20 minutes with Kesson warming the hands of Jordan Hart with a stinging shot shortly afterwards.

Andrew McCarthy was denied an equaliser on 32 minutes when he picked up on a Ross Dunlop error and bore down on goal however Hart scampered from his line to save.

Kyle Bailey headed a Davidson effort off the line on 41 minutes and Peterhead made the most of that reprieve by drawing level with the ‘fox in the box’ Derek Lyle scoring.

A nice passing move allowed Ben Armour to progress deep into enemy territory and his cut back was perfect for 40 year old Lyle to do what he has been doing in senior football since 1999 and stroke the ball into the net.

Within two minutes of the restart the game had turned around completely with the visitors going ahead after McCarthy robbed Scott Agnew of possession and was fouled at the edge of the box.

McDonald stepped up to take it and the defender sent a thumping shot flying into the net past a stunned Hart to claim his first goal since his move from Elgin City in January.

It was East Fife’s time to try and hit back with Swanson firing an effort at Wilson’s goal on 55 minutes however the ball rose and cleared the bar.

Manager McInally freshened things up with Armour and Lyle making way for Payne and Kieran McGrath and McGrath almost made an instant impact as he met a cross however his header failed to trouble Hart.

A third goal came for Peterhead on 77 minutes and it had a made in the north-east stamp all over it as local boy Strachan exchanged passes with on-loan Inverurie Locos player Hamish Ritchie and Strachan moved towards the home goal before slotting in an angled drive.

Peterhead – Wilson, Strachan, McDonald, Bailey, Freeman, Jordon Brown Ritchie 72), McCarthy, Scott Brown, Kesson (Boyd 72), Armour (Payne 64), Lyle (McGrath 64)

Unused substitutes – Rae, Ferry