Peterhead 1 Falkirk 0

Apr 20, 2021

Peterhead 1 Falkirk 0

Peterhead hosted a table-topping Falkirk in their last game of the reduced 18 game season and it was a fine night for the Blue Toon with Jason Brown’s late goal securing a 1-0 win.

Balmoor manager Jim McInally made several changes to the line-up that went down 2-1 at East Fife on Saturday with goalkeeper Lenny Wilson coming in for Joshua Rae, Kyle Bailey replacing the suspended Andrew MacDonald, Jordon Brown taking the place of player/ coach Simon Ferry in midfield with Niah Payne tasked with leading the attack instead of Derek Lyle.

With four minutes gone Hamish Ritchie sent a volley over from 8 yards after a quickly taken free-kick had released Payne and his cross had picked out the midfielder.

Falkirk raced to the other end and Morgaro Gomis sent an effort over Wilson’s bar.

On six minutes the visiting Scott Mercer broke into the home box and fired for goal and the hosts were glad to see the ball ripple into the side-netting.

Midway through the half a fine move started off by Andrew McCarthy gave Scott Brown a glimpse of goal from the edge of the box however his powerful effort was blocked at the expense of a corner.

On 27 minutes a scramble in the Falkirk box resulted in Jordon Brown getting a shot in on goal however Robbie Mutch was equal to his effort.

Eight minutes from the break Ritchie brought the ball down some 20 yards from the visitor’s goal however his lobbed effort was too straight at Mutch.

Mercer was booked for fouling Steven Boyd as he darted goalward with the Peterhead striker sending the resultant free-kick high over.

Peterhead had one more chance before the break when Scott Brown stepped up to hit a 25 yard free-kick however his effort crashed into the wall.

McInally’s side continued to impress in the second half with Ritchie firing wide after a corner and Jordon Brown having a shot blocked.

Kyle Bailey tried to help his striker’s out with a goal on 57 minutes however Mutch was more than equal to that effort.

On 65 minutes it looked like a deserved opener was on its way when a rapid counter-attack sent Scott Brown clear on the right hand side of the pitch however his shot hit the legs of Mutch.

Connor Sammon looked to sneak the visitors into the lead on 65 minutes with a raking low drive and Wilson, who was having a commanding night between the sticks, watched it carefully as it whistled past.

Peterhead refused to get frustrated at their lack of a breakthrough and their hopes of picking up a crucial three points increased 15 minutes from time when Gomis was dismissed. The Bairn had been booked for a foul on McCarthy early into the restart and when he took a deliberate tumble in the Peterhead half referee Duncan Williams produced a second yellow card for simulation.

The extra space generated by Gomis’ departure was used to great advantage by Peterhead with 10 minutes to go when local boy Danny Strachan picked up a free-kick some 40 yards from goal and sent a pass looping high towards the Falkirk goal which was perfect for Jason Brown to nip in and side-foot home to register his first goal of the season.

Despite what was at stake Peterhead refused to sit on their lead and Scott Brown had a drive at Mutch’s goal in the closing stages.

That went wide however the hosts saw things out to pick up a valuable three points to remain in seventh place some 12 points clear of bottom placed Forfar, four ahead of Dumbarton and three in front of Clyde.

Peterhead – Wilson, Strachan, Jason Brown, Freeman, Bailey, S Brown, Jordon Brown (Kesson 79), McCarthy, Ritchie, Boyd, Payne (McGrath 90)

Unused substitutes – Rae, Ferry, Armour, Lyle

Remaining fixtures

Saturday 24th v Clyde (h)

Thursday 29th v East fife (a)

Saturday 1st v Forfar (h)

Tuesday 4th v Dumbarton (a)