Peterhead 0 Clyde 2

Mar 30, 2021

Peterhead 0 Clyde 2

Peterhead were the better side against visitors Clyde for an hour of their match however the game turned on a wonder-strike from the visiting Craig Howie and the Bully Wee ended up with a 2-0 win after Ross Cunningham added a well-taken second.

Blue Toon manager Jim McInally made one change to his starting line up when Clyde came calling with Steven Boyd starting in place of Niah Payne.

Isaac Layne who was a substitute for Saturday’s 1-0 success at Dumbarton was on the bench for the Sons at Falkirk after agreeing a loan move to the Sons earlier in the day.

The first chance of the game came on 14 minutes when Ryan Conroy whipped in a free kick towards the Clyde goal however David Mitchell stretched to his left and pushed the ball past for a corner.

Andy McDonald reached the resultant flag kick however he sent his header wide.

With 27 minutes gone Clyde’s Lewis Jamieson had a glimpse of goal however he sent his shot high and wide.

Six minutes later trickery from Steven Boyd created danger deep in the visitors’ box and his deep cross picked out Kieran Freeman at the back post however the defender was unable to side-foot an effort on target and the ball was scrambled clear with Ben Armour firing a chance from the resultant corner wide.

At the start of the second half a long throw in released Armour and his looping shot was held at the second attempt by Mitchell.

Boyd was beavering away up front however he was unable to work himself into a shooting position and McDonald tried to help out with an ambitious effort from 30 yards however the visiting goal was not troubled.

The match turned in dramatic circumstances on 62 minutes when a long free kick from the half way line reached Craig Howie and the half-time substitute controlled the ball on his chest before cracking a ‘Goal of the Season’ contender past Joshua Rae.

It was 2-0 to Clyde 11 minutes later when Ally Love curled over a cross that picked out Ross Cunningham who deftly touched the ball past Rae and then slid it into an empty home net.

If Peterhead needed further confirmation that it was not going to be their night it came on 82 minutes when substitute Jordon Brown picked out fellow replacement Derek Lyle with a curling cross and Lyle’s header swept past Mitchell however it hit the post and bounced to safety.

Marc Lamont had a late chance to make it 3-0 when he flicked the ball past Rae however the goalkeeper won the race for the ball before it crossed the line.

Peterhead – Rae, Freeman (Lyle 76), McDonald, Jason Brown, Conroy, Ferry, S Brown, Ritchie (Kesson 76), Boyd (Jordon Brown 64), McCarthy, Armour (Payne 65)

Unused substitutes – Payne, Strachan, McGrath, Wilson (G/k), Bailey