Penalty decisions perplex manager – Jim McInally post-match Montrose

Dec 23, 2020

It was a case of what might have been for Peterhead manager Jim McInally following his side’s 1-1 draw with visitors Montrose. 

Isaac Layne fired the Blue Toon in front with a first half penalty however Graham Webster cancelled that out from the spot after the break to see the points shared. 

Jim reckons that the failure to award a second penalty to his side five minutes from half-time when Steven Boyd was flattened by Sean Dillon was key to his side not securing a third win in a row as he explained: “First of all I have to say well-done to all the players. We had injuries before the game and during it which saw us have to re-arrange our shape and personnel several times. Montrose are a good side and were on a good run so getting a point is a decent result however it could have been three.” 

“I thought we were excellent in the first half and if we had scored a second before half-time then I believe that we would have gone on to see things out. The decision not to give a penalty was a strange one as if it had been committed anywhere else on the pitch then I am sure that it would have been penalised.” 

“Montrose came out in the second half just the one goal behind when it could have been two.” 

Jim added: “To make matters worse I am still not sure what the Montrose penalty was for. I was told that Jason Brown had pushed Russell McLean but having watched the incident I cannot see much contact.” 

Despite the disappointment at not winning there were plenty of positives as Jim explained: “Some of the attacking play from Lyall Cameron and Steven Boyd in the first half was a delight to see and we deserved to be further ahead.” 

“Montrose were better than us after the break however we got a point whereas last season we would have lost that game as the heads would have went down after the equaliser. We were under a bit of pressure at times however we actually started having a go ourselves as opposed to going into our shells.” 

An update on Gary Fraser who was taken off in great discomfort early in the game is expected later on today.