Clyde 0 Peterhead 2

Oct 31, 2020

Clyde                   0 

Peterhead          2 

Cameron (55),

S Brown (71) 

Peterhead picked up their first win of the season with a 2-0 win at Clyde with the Blue Toon putting on a fine display on an awful day weather wise with Lyall Cameron and skipper Scott Brown finding the net.

Balmoor boss Jim McInally made one personnel change and several tactical ones after last weekend’s defeat from Cove Rangers with Gary Fraser coming in for Derek Lyle with Kieran Freeman and Kyle Bailey swapping defensive roles.

Joshua Rae had an early scare when a header from David Goodwillie changed direction in the wind several times with the shot-stopper eventually clutching the ball.

In another tactical switch Steven Boyd was pushed further forward and his pass to Andrew McCarthy opened up the Clyde defence on nine minutes and it looked like Peterhead would get the chance to grab their first goal of the league season from the penalty spot when the midfielder went tumbling in the box.

Referee Graham Grainger thought otherwise and waved played on.

Peterhead shrugged that disappointment off and despite the swirling wind their precise passing was beginning to cause Clyde problems with the midfield trio of Fraser, McCarthy and Brown providing great support to the busy Boyd and Alan Cook up front as well as making themselves available for their defenders.

A great example of the team ethic was seen on 35 minutes when Boyd charged forward and picked out Scott Brown and it looked like his low drive was going to nestle in the net however David Mitchell produced a fine save.

The Blue Toon went close again just before half-time when Brown sent a cross flashing the Clyde goal that Clyde defender Matthew Shiels had to turn away however his clearance flashed just past.

Former Scotland striker Goodwillie had been well-marshalled in the first half however at the start of the second he crashed to the ground as a corner came over with Grainger ruling out home hopes of a penalty this time.

Peterhead took the lead on 55 minutes when Ryan Conroy crossed from left to right and Cameron brought the ball under control before darting into the box and firing past Mitchell.

The second came on 71 minutes when Boyd’s dogged persistence saw off him take the ball off a home defender and work his way to the bye line where he looked up and spotted Brown who thumped a shot high into the net.

Boyd limped off to be replaced by trialist Hasim Bakar and it looked like the substitute had won a penalty when his cross was handled however again no spot-kick was awarded. 

Peterhead – Rae, Freeman, Bailey, J Brown, Conroy, Cameron (Kesson 90+2), Fraser, McCarthy, S Brown, Cook (Lyle 75), Boyd (Trialist Bakar 80)

Unused substitutes – Armour, Wilson